Thread: event.Skip

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

event.Skip

What event.Skip means exactly is, Boa seems to add this at the end of every function, sometime the function doesn't works without it and sometimes the function is scewed because of it ( eg. about notebook function in my first post, I removed the event.Skip and it's doing fine.
  3. Mini me.
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

That call is used in in your event handler to control if the event is passed on to the underlying wxPython handlers for the same event. Sometimes you just want to know the event has occurred but then pass it on for more processing. Other times your event handler is the only one that should process the event.

It is documented but I can't check it right now (I'm testing a new 3G data card - very ).

Grim
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Then when I should use it and when I shouldn't?
  7. Mini me.
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

event.Skip() - normally used when you have finished dealling with the event and want to pass the event to the default event handler.

For example: you could register an event handler for keyboard events - say you don't want the TAB key or BACKSPACE key to work.

Your event handler will be called every time a key is pressed. Your handler will inspect the event to check the value of the key. Any key pressed other than TAB and BACKSPACE you would exit the method calling event.Skip() so that the normal keyboard handler would be called (to handle text entry etc.). If the key was TAB or BACKSPACE you would not call event.Skip().

I have to say that calling the method Skip is not helpful in this context - it might better called ContinueDownTheChainOfEventHandlers or just Continue

There is an introduction in the BOA help that might explain things better called Event handling overview.

Grim
    Last edited by Grim Archon; May 13th, 2004 at 02:17 PM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo