Thread: IDLE problem

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

IDLE problem

My IDLE wont work. I went to the folder the actual IDLE program is stored, not the shortcut. And in the "file type" column for IDLE it says "Python File (no console)". I reinstalled Python, but IDLE still doesn't work. So I was wondering how to make IDLE have a console.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Do you mean you tried running it and it didn't start, so you need a console to see any error messages?

The file that the shortcut runs is "idle.pyw". The .pyw extension means run without opening a command console. There is also an "idle.py" file in the same directory which should do what you want.
    However I suggest that you open a command console in the directory and run either file from that - if you double click it then it will open the console, print the error message and then close it again before you can read it.

Dave - The Developers' Coach
  5. No Profile Picture

I mean that when I click IDLE.pyw it doesn't run. In the "File Type" column of "C:\Python23\Lib\idlelib" for Python.pyw it says "Python File (no console)". So I was wondering what it means by the Python File having "no console" and how i can fix this problem.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

The reason it says "Python File (no console)" is because it is a file with a .pyw extension. this is not normally a problem, since usually you do not want Idle to have a console. However if it is not starting up then you need to see the exceptions.

Please read my previous post again, it tells you how to run Idle with a console, so you can find out what exception is being thrown.

Dave - The Developers' Coach
    Last edited by DevCoach; August 14th, 2004 at 01:37 PM.
  9. No Profile Picture

Command Prompt says that idle.py and idle.pyw aren't win32 applications, so I can't open it with that. So I right clicked idle.pyw and choose to open it with pythonw and it worked fine. And now when i open it normally it works. I don't know what happened becuase idle.pyw has always been set to open with pythonw. Thanks for your help.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo