1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

python and mysql

hey all,

i am trying to do my server-side stuff in python now instead of php because php just gets far too messy for my taste. so cleary i need to use databases and i just found out my server doesn't have the MySQLdb module installed.

and when i contacted them about it they said:
    Sorry, MySQLdb was not installed on our servers. We can't install custom modules on our servers as you are on shared hosting environment.
    i also have PostgresSQL on my server but i having a hard time figuring out what module or whatever i exactly need to work with it....

so anyway, my questions:

1. is there another way to access mysql besides MySQLdb?
    2. what's the best way to work with PostgresSQL, if mysql is out of the question?

i don't do heavy database stuff, but i NEED a database to work with so i am just looking for...something.

thanks
  3. Mini me.
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Both interfaces to MySQL and PostgresSQL use a compiled C extension which is where the problem lies. I found a pure Python interface here but I don't know how good it is:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pysqldb

My host is the same, it claims Python support but basically says it's there to support Mailman only.

Gadfly is a pure python database making no use of external technology and it has an SQL interface.

grim
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Grim Archon
    Both interfaces to MySQL and PostgresSQL use a compiled C extension which is where the problem lies. I found a pure Python interface here but I don't know how good it is:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pysqldb

My host is the same, it claims Python support but basically says it's there to support Mailman only.

Gadfly is a pure python database making no use of external technology and it has an SQL interface.

grim

okay, awesome - thanks

now in hopes of not sounding too stupid: how do i install these if i only have remote access to the server?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by jacktasia
    hey all,

i am trying to do my server-side stuff in python now instead of php because php just gets far too messy for my taste. so cleary i need to use databases and i just found out my server doesn't have the MySQLdb module installed.

and when i contacted them about it they said:

i also have PostgresSQL on my server but i having a hard time figuring out what module or whatever i exactly need to work with it....

so anyway, my questions:

1. is there another way to access mysql besides MySQLdb?
    2. what's the best way to work with PostgresSQL, if mysql is out of the question?

i don't do heavy database stuff, but i NEED a database to work with so i am just looking for...something.

thanks
    If you have shell access (not necessarily root) then u can compile a mysqldb and update your sys.path to point to that directory.

kancha.
    www.developers.net.np
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by kancha
    If you have shell access (not necessarily root) then u can compile a mysqldb and update your sys.path to point to that directory.

kancha.
    www.developers.net.np
    unfortunately, i don't have shell access. any other ideas? / how to get those other modules working?

thanks
  11. Mini me.

This applies to normal cgi files:

If you execute a python file in cgi-bin then that directory and possibly it's sub-directories will be in the path.

If you create a python sub-directory in cgi-bin and in that sub-directory create an empty __init__.py file you should be able to keep python stuff separate. You then put all your support modules into the python sub-directory.
    Your modules would then have a prefix of python

To keep code compatible you could use:
    import python.mymodule as mymodule

So for your particular problem, I suggest you install the package on a local machine and then copy the complete package (ftp) to the python sub-directory.

grim
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Grim Archon
    This applies to normal cgi files:

If you execute a python file in cgi-bin then that directory and possibly it's sub-directories will be in the path.

If you create a python sub-directory in cgi-bin and in that sub-directory create an empty __init__.py file you should be able to keep python stuff separate. You then put all your support modules into the python sub-directory.
    Your modules would then have a prefix of python

To keep code compatible you could use:
    import python.mymodule as mymodule

So for your particular problem, I suggest you install the package on a local machine and then copy the complete package (ftp) to the python sub-directory.

grim
    awesome, thanks again grim ill probably end up doing that.

i am seriously considering signing up for Plan 1 at http://www.python-hosting.com/ because it has most "common" modules installed and gives you shell access to install anything you want...seems like a pretty awesome deal, any comments on it?

thanks again
  15. Mini me.

Looks like you have your problem sorted with that host and it looks a good deal

It's maybe a surprise but I went for all round quantity over specific python support with Lunarpages. (They specifically exclude Zope/Plone). I'm still in the site building phase (learning Mambo) at the mo' but haven't run into any issues except the C extension one.

My Python code markup cgi works from that site so at least I know all the core modules are available. (I'll add C module compilation to the list of experiments to try on it).

grim

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo