1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Need some help please.....

I want ot create my very own irc client in python. But it is really hard finding help in creating such a application. Most sites are loyal to the famous windows irc client mirc.

I know that mirc might be the leader in the irc client world. but I would like to have a client of my own something I enjoy learning. I'm not even sure if anyone here can help but I'm going ot ask anyways hopefully someone will.

People have told me that irc clients use sockets and I would need to take a look at documentations on asynchat, asynchronous modules. I looked at a few documents but it still isn't quite clear enough for me to write. Making the GUI for the client should be too much of a hassle since I already have a irc client on my hard drive that i use. I will just need information on how to assign various commands to menus. For example if I created a menu that had; "File, Edit, Dcc, Scripts, Help." How can I associate the commands needed for each part of the menu.

Is there anyone out there that has experience with irc scripting and would like to assist me with this project?

Your help will be greatly appreciated to the open source world.
  3. Big Endian
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

I don't know anything about IRC but if I wanted to try to learn how to write a client using Python, the first place I would start is Sourceforge (click here).

I typed IRC Python into the search field and got back 10 results. There were several IRC bots and Python IRC, a graphical client. Maybe looking at their open-source code will help you learn. Or you might consider joining an existing project and help finish something already being developed.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo