Thread: Python's TCL

1. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Question Python's TCL

When I installed Python, I ended up with a subfolder called TCL. There is precious little information on all the zillion .tcl files there. The only readme file in the tk demo subfolder talks about wish and installing wish, again no clue, at least for me!

Can one of the experts please shed some light on tkinter, wish and those many .tcl files. Does tkinter stand for tk interpreter?

Thank you!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

TKinter is the standard GUI toolkit that comes with Python.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Dietrich
    When I installed Python, I ended up with a subfolder called TCL. There is precious little information on all the zillion .tcl files there. The only readme file in the tk demo subfolder talks about wish and installing wish, again no clue, at least for me!

Can one of the experts please shed some light on tkinter, wish and those many .tcl files. Does tkinter stand for tk interpreter?

Thank you!
    TCL is another computer language, whose major contribution to computing is the Tk graphics library.

tkinter is Python's module to interface with Tk. I suspect you're running on a really old version of Python -1.5.2 or 2.1 since modern versions of Python no longer install TCL, just Tk. Unless you HAVE to use that version, I strongly recommend that you upgrade to 2.3 (stable) or 2.4 (pretty stable)

--OH.
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Red face

I am less lost now, thank you!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo