Thread: java or python?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

java or python?

i want to design a simple RPG, but i dont knwo what language to use. i am a beginner, so i want to start small. i heard that both python and java are good languages to begin with.
    which would be better to use to make a simple role-playing game?
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

I'm guessing this RPG will be using visual graphics? I would suggest using Java. Java is also what Runescape is made in. I don't really think Python is meant for that kind of programming, I've seen a screenshot of one or two RPG's made in Python through wxPython. They didn't look all that great either.
  5. No Profile Picture

quick ?

so what kind of games is python good for?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Python isn't for designing games. It is a programing language that can be used for games. Python is more of a quick scripting lang that can be used on medium size projects pretty easyly. You can make a game with it, but it really wouldn't be all that easy or that great. I know there is pyOpenGl witch could make it better, i have never personly used it.

However i beleave java would be the best solution. It has more built in tools and is easyly extendible. It is also has things for it that is built for designing games.

But don't think this as me saying no to python. You could make an amazing game with python. I personly just beleave it would be easyer to make the same game in java than python, I also beleave it would run better in java than python.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Don't believe what Yegg & CyberHigh say - Python is fine for RPGs. You will need a good graphics engine written in C or C++, but there are several of those for Python.

There are several commercial RPGs that use Python for the game logic, including at least one MMORPG (massive multiplayer online RPG) that uses Python for both the client code and the server. Here is a quote from the makers of Eve Online on the quotes page at python.org:

EVE Online

"Python enabled us to create EVE Online, a massive multiplayer game with a scale never before seen in the industry, in record time. EVE Online server cluster, servers close to 10.000 simultaneous players in a shared space simulation, most of which is created in Python. The flexibilities of Python have enabled us to quickly improve the game experience based on player feedback," said Hilmar Veigar Petursson, chief technology officer of CCP, the developers of EVE Online.
    It is a myth that Python is slow in comparison to languages like Java and C#. There are many cases of the same program being written both in Python and in Java or C#, and the Python verson turning out to be faster.

Dave - The Developers' Coach
    Last edited by DevCoach; April 3rd, 2005 at 04:00 AM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi!

You can create really nice games using pygame. Here is it's home.
    I like programming little games using Tkinter It isn't easy and the games aren't very cool, but I like the challenge
    If you like have a look at two of them: Pythoban, pyNibbles

Regards, mawe
  13. Contributing User

Don't believe what Yegg & CyberHigh say - Python is fine for RPGs. You will need a good graphics engine written in C or C++, but there are several of those for Python.
    He also asked what would be better, Java or Python. I believe that Java would be the better language for a job as such. Take Runescape for example, it was created in Java, and they have a very popular MMORPG now. I've seen 130000 people playing sumultaneously.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by DevCoach
    Don't believe what Yegg & CyberHigh say - Python is fine for RPGs.
    He asked a personal preferance question. So i answered with my personal preferance. I also said that it could be done in python, but i didn't beleave it would be as easy as with java. I also said that with some better tools like pyOpenGl it would work even better.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yegg and CyberHigh are welcome to their opinions, but I still believe that Python is far better suited to this task than Java.

Virtually every commercial game produced these days has a scripting language embedded in it, and more and more of them are using Python instead of rolling their own. Even if you program the game framework in Java you will still need a high level scripting language to define the behaviour of the game actors and objects. Java is simple too low level a level language to be good at the sort of scripting needed by game objects.

Python is also well suited to novice programmers, so you are going to become productive far more quickly in Python than in Java.

This is all IMHO of course (as is anything posted on a forum), but I worked in the games industry for over 10 years so have some small experience of what is required for game programming.

Dave - The Developers' Coach

Comments on this post

• SimonGreenhill agrees : I agree - especially in an RPG where 100's of FPS is not essential.
    • jacktasia agrees
    • sbkwi agrees
  19. No Profile Picture

cool

thx all of u
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I have no comment on whether Java or Python would be better. As always, I suggest that Python would be easier to learn, and faster to write code with, but Java may well have things you want such as the ability to be embedded in a web page, or nicer built in graphics, GUI and Media libraries.

Disney's ToonTown is written in Python. It may be a bit graphically limited, but it's fun.
    Last edited by sfb; April 3rd, 2005 at 06:40 PM.
  23. No Profile Picture

visual basic

is visual basic any good?
  25. Contributing User

Yes, but there is also much more work that would need to be done if you were working with VB6. It would be more work to learn, take more time to work with. I think Java or Python would be better choices.
  27. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Why not mix the both worlds and take a look at Jython? This is really useful if you want to target the JVM... but Jython is a little behind the times as far as Python features go.

http://www.jython.org/

I agree that Python would be the best choice here make sure you take a look at PyGame! As Dave said you'll be much more productive, faster if you choose Python and you'll find it so much easier to learn! That said I'm not a fan of Java .

Take care,

Mark.
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Hula

29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Is Visual Basic any good?
    No. (It's a bit of a mess).

It was also first available in January 1999 and as it's so old, mainstream support for it finished about 5 days ago at the end of March (http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifeprodv) so learning Visual Basic 6 now would be largely a waste of time unless you have a job working with it. It's also the last in the line of the traditional Visual Basic series.

Unless you mean Visual Basic .Net, which is very very different to VB 6 and previous versions. I'd still suggest C#.Net or Java or Python to that though.
    Last edited by sfb; April 4th, 2005 at 12:18 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo