1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Best Win32 Python IDE/Implementation

I am just starting python and would like to know which IDE you use (pref. free) to develop your programs and what implementation of Python you use to run your scripts/programs (eg ActiveState).
    Thanks for any advice you can give me
  3. fork while true;
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

On my nix box i use the real python interpreter.

I dont write python.
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

I would go with using PythonWin.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

im not sure what win32 python or w/e is

but i use the following python programs:
    IDLE (python GUI), py2exe & wxpython
  9. No Profile Picture

11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by EvilGuru
    I am just starting python and would like to know which IDE you use (pref. free) to develop your programs and what implementation of Python you use to run your scripts/programs (eg ActiveState).
    Thanks for any advice you can give me

I use Boa Constructor
  13. (retired)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

My votes go for Stani's Python Editor (SPE), which is free, open source, and very cool. Has lots of useful extensions built in like kiki for regexps.

I also use Eric when I can't get SPE working (it's very picky about the wvWindows version it uses).

--Simon
  15. Mini me.
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

As mentioned by gen_rec Boa Constructor is a complete IDE, is free, cross platform and uses wxPython. I've used it on both Linux and Windows platforms.

It even has a tutorial for building a simple application.

It is not difficult to include support for py2exe and Inno within Boa so it really is a full IDE.

Like SPE - make sure you install the version of wxPython it claims to support. I use it with Python 2.3.

grim
  17. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by dswing
    Sorry to barge in! I like PythonWin, but it has one annoying feature, it intercepts the input() and raw_input() functions and displays them in a separate window. This is often in the way of the window showing the output! Is there a way to avoid this silly feature?
  19. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

I do most of my Python work on the Mac using SubEthaEdit or Xcode but when I used to use Windows a while ago I used an editor called Code Genie. It's not free but it's very light weight and has all the features you need in an editor i.e. customizable syntax highlighting .

Other than that I also like DrPython and PyCrust. Both of which rely on the wxPython library.

http://drpython.sourceforge.net/

I've also read good things about the Visual Python plugin for Visual Studio .NET however this one will set you back a bit. You might want to check out this list:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonEditors

As a rule I stick with the standard Python dist. however if you're using Windows ActivePython can save you some time since it comes with some nice extensions that are missing from standard Python.

Take care,

Mark.
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Hula

21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

I have used a lot of editors and IDEs, but now I do most of my work in Vim. I started using it because I was doing a lot of work on linux through an ssh connection, so did not have access to editors with lots of GUI features.

Coming from a Windows background it had a steep learning curve - and I mean REALLY steep. It has two modes, one for editing text, and one for executing commands which are often a single letter or two-letter combination. To use it effectively your fingers have to learn a whole new language.

However now that I have got the hang of it I find it far more productive than traditional GUI editors - switching between keyboard and mouse is inefficient in comparison. For example in the time it takes to move your hand from the keyboard to the mouse, select some text, move the pointer up to the menu bar, select the menu heading you want, slide the pointer down to the menu entry, and click the button, you could type perhaps a couple of dozen keystrokes. In vim this would be enough to do all sorts of magic.

Dave - The Developers' Coach

added: vim has a GUI version and runs on Windows, Mac and just about every flavour of unix, so you can use the same editor on any platform you are ever likely to work on.
    Last edited by DevCoach; May 24th, 2005 at 04:54 PM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo