1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How Python should be used to communicate with devices?

Hello

I am new to Python and supposed to work in communicating with some device(s) through either internet broadband communication or local network communication.

Machine is TCP/IP compliant and generally communicates using UDP/IP protocol in which it send packets.

Well I am new to Python as well as programming in order to communicate with machines. (I hope communication might be using IP address with port number)

Well I want low level implementation of communication with devices.

However right now mainly what i need is:

1.0 Suggestion on how these kind of projects are dealt?
    2.0 As a beginer what should be my approach to learn systematiucally?
    3.0 What portion of Python programming apart from basic programming style I should look into?

Thanking You in Advance
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

You will definately need to use the socket module for these kinds of tasks. The socket module can handle TCP/IP, UDP/IP, and RAW sockets, for Windows and Unix (not sure about Macintosh). I would study the socket module and how to properly use it, and what its capabilities are. I would also study about how devices (computers, cell phones, etc.) send and receive packets and other data through sockets. Apart from knowing these two things rather well, you won't really need to know too much more Python, it would be great to know most of the language so that you will know how to handle certain tasks when it comes the time you need to program something in your application that you normally wouldn't know how to code. So studying the Python language would also be a good help, but the main two things that you must know are about sockets and what I discussed in the first part of my response. Hope this helps.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Yes, knowing the prototcal is a must. This can be rather difficult on non-standard communcation methods, espieally with closed sourced software. So make sure you know the protocal inside and out

Python itself is a kinda large subject I highly recommend you know this very well before moving onto something as advanced as sockets is. Sockets alone can file hundereds of books. Python even widens that with its power. It takes a bit of time to master all this, probably a few months, so don't expect to just create it.

good luck tho!

IMN logo majestic logo spyfu logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo