1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy Very Newbie - Python classes across modules

Can anyone tell me how to get say module 'a' to recognize the classe(s) in module 'b'? I can instantiate a class in module 'b' but I can not figure out how to have module 'a' recognize it.
    Having to use 'global' would be a pain and I don't even know if it would work.
    In addition, I can not figure out how or even if it is possible to instantiate a class from module 'b' inside of module 'a'.
    I am trying to convert a program that has a ton of separate files to Python and putting everything in one file is just not practical.
    I'm sure it must be a simple thing but, so far, it's too much for me apparently.
    I know this is a silly question but try not to abuse me too much.
  3. No Profile Picture

in module b:
    from a import YourKlass #get YourKlass from module a
    yk = YourKlass() #instantiate that class
    do_stuff(yk)

-OR-

import a #get module 'a'
    yk = a.YourKlass() #instantiate YourKlass in module a
    do_stuff(yk)

global wouldn't work anyway.

Originally Posted by catlover
    Can anyone tell me how to get say module 'a' to recognize the classe(s) in module 'b'? I can instantiate a class in module 'b' but I can not figure out how to have module 'a' recognize it.
    Having to use 'global' would be a pain and I don't even know if it would work.
    In addition, I can not figure out how or even if it is possible to instantiate a class from module 'b' inside of module 'a'.
    I am trying to convert a program that has a ton of separate files to Python and putting everything in one file is just not practical.
    I'm sure it must be a simple thing but, so far, it's too much for me apparently.
    I know this is a silly question but try not to abuse me too much.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

the way I understood the question is how to recognize a class remotly and as far as I know you can't do that...
    Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
  7. No Profile Picture

Thank you very much for taking the time to help.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo