1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

advise me on a gui solution !

Hey there, i have been writing python scripts for about 4 months now so i am still very new at programming. that said, i need to build a gui app to handle some data manipulation from a database, set points, etc... what i would like is the easiest to learn gui development method for python in linux. Dont need anything cross platform, just easy to learn but able to do things like plotting info on a graph. ok, so i have looked at Tkinter, glade2 and wxPython. i dont know, but i would like some opinions before i jump into one.
    thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi!

It's hard to give you a useful answer here, because choosing a GUI toolkit is like choosing a programming language - it's mostly a matter of taste The best you can do is to look at some code-snippets and see which one you like best.

But you asked, so here is my opinion:
    Tkinter is by far the easiest to start with. It's well documented and much code is written with it, so you can learn quickly.
    wxPython is ... well, not documented. But it ships with a great demo, where you can see how things are done. And it has a plotting widget, which might be useful for you
    I have no experience with Gtk and Qt, but maybe someone else can say what they think of it.

Regards, mawe
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

cool, thanks
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

I would have to go with wxPython, not only does it consist of more libraries and more capabilities, but it comes with example code of everything type of object that can be used in your GUI application. It doesn't have an official tutorial, but learning by the examples will help you get along soon enough.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

i think i am leaning more that way too. it wasnt an issue when i first started but i think i want the more native look.
    i also think the plotting widget will speed things up for me.
    thanks

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo