1. Resident Alien
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

btdownloadheadless.py: cannot execute binary file

I'm actually only asking this here because this is a Python program, but perhaps some of you have a clue what I can do here.

btdownloadheadless.py is a headless torrent client for linux. I've installed it and now I want to download a torrent file.

I get this exception however.
    btdownloadheadless.py: cannot execute binary file

the command I was giving it was:
    btdownloadheadless.py --max_upload_rate 8 --url http://www.testPage.com/exampleFile.torrent

ideas?
    Roguen's home page: Garage68 home of
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Check your permissions on btdownloadheadless.py, make sure it has execute permissions. ls -l in the dir it is in will give you this output.

If it is executable try it like this:
    python btdownloadheadless.py --max_upload_rate 8 --url http://www.testPage.com/exampleFile.torrent

As long as the python command is in your PATH this should work.
  5. Resident Alien

current permissions for the program are:
    -rwxr-x--x 1 root slocate 2235750 Sep 30 20:44 btdownloadheadless.py

I doing a su to root to do this.

though not in my path, the .py is located in the same directory as the python executable. therefore I executed a ./python btdownloadheadless.py --max_upload_rate 8 --url http://www.testPage.com/exampleFile.torrent

it however spat out a long list of what seems to be file names from my computer delimited by '/' and then stopping with "SyntaxError: invalid syntax"

vajavajava/sounds/CellUpdater.classjava/SelectTx.javajar/HelpFiles/credits.htmlH elp.java/Notepad_fr.properties/SampleTree.jar/SwingApplet.html.classjava/DitherC ontrols.classjavajavajava/sounds/CellUpdater.classjava/SelectTx.javajar/HelpFile s/credits.htmlHelp.java/Notepad_fr.properties/SampleTree.jar/SwingApplet.htmlIta lic.ttfOblique.ttfpng.classjava/CardinalTextField.classjavajavajava/sounds/CellU pdater.classjava.properties/images/SelectTx.javajar/srcHelp.java/credits.html/No tepad_fr.properties/SampleTree.jar/Notepad_fr.properties/SwingApplet.html/food/b ottle.gif/colheader.jpg/blake.gif_g.soh_g.so/FullThreadDump.classjava/CardinalTe xtField.classjavajavajava/sounds/CellUpdater.classjava.properties/images/SelectT x.javajar/srcHelp.java/credits.html/Notepad_fr.properties/SampleTree.jar/Notepad _fr.properties/SwingApplet.html/food/bottle.gif/colheader.jpg/blake.gifRegular.t tf/LC_MESSAGES/jmxremote.password.templatepng/GNUmakefile/GNUmakefilesponse.java amrcamampcf.o.o/soundmodem.o/intermezzo.o80.o/intermezzo.o/arptable_filter.o/ip6 t_ipv6header.olatin1.map.gzlog.2005-08-12.txtommon.jar/AddConnectorAction.classs Form.classResources.propertiess.jspmiddle.gifjavajava/DebugValidator.classjspjsp /error.jsp/Hello.javanstraint.htmlTokenizer.htmlService.htmlBindingsEnumeration. htmlobjects.html/javax/Filter.html/Cookie.html/HttpJspPage.html/BodyContent.html png/binary.js2.mpg/examplesclassclass/index_jsp.java/host-manager.xmlroperties20 05-09-28.logcluster.jar/fixed4ie.css/host-managerclass.bat/admin.xmlropertiesclu ster.jarommon.jarmiddle.gif.classpng/binary.js2.mpg/functions.class/Categories.c lass40M.JPGmallDSC00425-2 (Medium).jpg/g68.css/admin3.dtd3.dtd/package.htmlclass classclass/index_jsp.java3.dtdclassclass/List_jsp.javaclassclassclassclass
    ^
    SyntaxError: invalid syntax
    Can't say that I have any clue what's going on there.

I'm running python 2.2.2 if that makes a difference. Might it be possible that I need to update python to something like 2.4. I'm going to be trying that next.
    Roguen's home page: Garage68 home of

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo