1. Rut row Raggy!
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Question winsound module -> does it support mp3?

I tried using the winsound module the other night to play a mp3, but all I heard was an error beep. I converted the file to wav, and it worked. Does anyone know if winsound or any other Python/wxPython module supports playing mp3's? If not, Python is really behind the times.

Also, does the SND_ALIAS argument work with Windows XP? I tried using it too, but I got the same error beep no matter what name I tried.
    Last edited by marron79; April 3rd, 2003 at 05:06 PM.
    Matt
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Re: winsound module -> does it support mp3?

Originally posted by marron79
    I tried using the winsound module the other night to play a mp3, but all I heard was an error beep. I converted the file to wav, and it worked. Does anyone know if winsound or any other Python/wxPython module supports playing mp3's? If not, Python is really behind the times.

Also, does the SND_ALIAS argument work with Windows XP? I tried using it too, but I got the same error beep no matter what name I tried.
    I imagine that all sound playing libraries expect their input in a specific format. They are, after all, sound playing libraries, and not audio codecs.

Google for python mp3 libs. I don't know of any personally, but I'd be surprised if they didn't exist. I prefer oggs which have excellent python support (and sound better at smaller file sizes)
    Debian - because life's too short for worrying.
    Best. (Python.) IRC bot. ever.
  5. Rut row Raggy!
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I did do some searching the other day, but came up empty. Everything I found was either a full-blown program or a module for id3 tags. I was hoping someone else had come across a module or developed one themselves.
    Matt

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo