1. Junior Member
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Status of Python Web Services

Finally have a good reason to use Python as I'm working on a small project to allow system information from a Windows NT server to be displayed on a web page.

General plan is to have Python act as a SOAP server, running on the Windows NT server, and use the Win32API extensions to gather system information.

Choice of Python is partly because I want a good reason to use it and partly because I may want to do the same with a Linux server later (which means I can just adapt the Win32 calls rather than starting from scratch).

Anyway, been playing around with ZSI which looks really good so far.

Some questions;

Are there any implementations that help with generating WSDL for a server? So far all I've found are client side readers.

Is ZSI the "best / right" implementation to choose? My Python skills are work in progress so ease of use is a factor but happy to sacrifice that for a reliable implementation. One thing that bothered me slightly about ZSI is the lack (I think) of being able to define a namespace for a set of exposed methods (to distinguish one service from another) although that won't effect this project.

Would I be better off with XML-RPC for the time being, given that it's a fairly simple remote API I want to build. If so, what Python XML-RCP implementation would you recommend?

Many thanks.
  3. Contributing User

If you are doing something simple, I would highly recommend XML-RPC instead of SOAP.

A really good XML-RPC implementation is actually the one that is part of the Python standard library - xmlrpclib
  5. Junior Member

Thanks for the tip off.

Had a play with xmlrpclib and it seems to be a client only but it led me to the SimpleXMLRPCServer module which looks like all I need.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo