Thread: Plone?

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Smile Plone?

Hey there -

I'm sure most of you are already aware, since you're probably more into Python than I am... However, I urge you to check out Plone . It's ZOPE, but with a nicer look-n-feel. Much better packaged for the user who needs basic CMS, with some frills, and doesn't want to spend hours configuring, and fiddling about.

- RebolMan
  3. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Plone..

Hi RebolMan,

I've looked at Plone before and I've gotta say it looks great (kinda an easier to use version of Zope if you will) and I really wouldn't mind using it however unless you have your own servers it really isn't easy to get running. First you need to get a server running Python and with Zope intalled (not that easy yet) and then you need to get system admin to install even more software , maybe one day when perl lays in askes and Python rules the web (no offence) but not yet..

Now don't get me wrong Zope is a very powerful (largly unsupported) piece of software but if Plone was built directly in Python then it would probably be alot more popular!

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but that's my honest oppinion at this point..sorry.

Take care,
    Mark
  5. No Profile Picture

Wink Had no problem installing or running it.

Granted,

I am running it under Windows 2000 Server and Windows XP Pro. It's just a simple installer, no need to get Zope or Python installed and working seperately - the installer has them bundled in...

I do imagine that the process might be somewhat different under Linux in that you might have to get the Zope and Python packages up and running first, but last time I did that it took me about 5 minutes or so. But then again, I controlled the Server(s) Redhat 7 and Mandrake 6. I think the Plone people may also have a packaged (containing Zope and Python) install for Linux now too.

So while I agree - I think the most important thing is that when you're talking about server software, it makes some sense to assume that you're the administrator of the system, and thus able to install whatever software you want. If you're dealing with a managed host, sure getting them to install stuff will be a PITA - but no more of a PITA with Plone, than any other piece of "non-standard" software which might not be installed on the server.
  7. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

:)

Ok granted although from my point of view - using a third party host - it proved hard enough to get Python installed, alot of prodding and pocking, but after only 4 months I got my own way .

The problem being that in most situations it isn't plausable to wait 4 months.. although I do think its pretty cool that it's all bundled together now, the last time I looked I only saw it available as a zip/gzip files. "Good going guys!".

Thanks for the info , i'll bare this in mind!

Just one more point/question, Plone comes with a fixed, prebuilt unser interface.. can you change Plones Interface? and by how much?

So in conculsion , as long as your willing to use the prebuilt interface and you/your admin will install it, Plone is a great piece of opensource software!!! agreed? lol

Have a nice day,
    Mark.
  9. No Profile Picture

Yeah, it's pretty cool. It does depend on the situation though - I gave up on trying to work with managed servers on account of installation issues I've encountered in the past, so I feel your pain...

Supposedly it's fairly configurable - you can still log into the underlying Zope system and muck around with it. I found where the various default "looks" (skins) are stored; in theory you could use the Zope facility to copy an existing skin, and then extensively customize it.

There were a few sites they list as using Plone, and all of them have fairly unique look-n-feel. Sure, they share some commonalities - their web sites are divided into sections - but hey what site doesn't have some sort of information architecture like that?
  11. No Profile Picture

Post info on Plone third party host use

http://www.zope.org/Members/gldnspud/zope3rdparty

I haven't actually tried this out yet but I figured I would post it here since I spent the past 6 hours on this issue. This forum post and the link represent all of the discoveries.

Erik Mallinson

IMN logo majestic logo spyfu logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo