Thread: ddd + python

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

ddd + python

Hi,

I'm trying to get DDD to play w/ my python code and I'm not having much luck.

I can get it to open the source code up, but it doesn't seem to let me set a breakpoint and then run the code. Part of the problem (I think) is that my code is spread all over the place (the code that includes the 'main' protion of my program is in a different file than that which I want to debug).

Can anyone offer any suggestions? Also, I don't need to necessarily use DDD, it's just what I have available - I would like a gui interface for the debugger though.

Thanks
  3. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Ok?

Ok one question tostata, what is DDD and where did you get it because i've never heard of it .

Have fun,
    Mark.
  5. No Profile Picture

Hi Netytan,

Thanks for responding - I just got home from vacation.

DDD is the Data Display Debugger (http://www.gnu.org/software/ddd/) - it's the debugger I use when doing C/C++ dev on unix platforms. It's supposed to work w/ the python command line debugger. I just haven't been able to get it to work acceptably...

I'm not set on using that, but I don't like using command line debuggers. If you can recommend anything else (preferably free), that would be much appreciated.
  7. Hello World :)

It looks very interesting, i can definalty see why you would want to use it. I'm assuming the Python Debugger is another program? Sorry for my lack of Knowledge on this subject, new ground here.. Python provides such nice error messages I've never had to look at a debugger before. Where does the debugger come form or is it shipped with Python?

Mark.
  9. No Profile Picture

Hi,

PDB or whatever just comes in the python package - it's analagous to GDB for the GNU c/c++ package.

The error messages are good (I appreciate the instant stack trace), but I'm trying to modify an existing program for another related task, and it's painful trying to figure out exactly what's going on - I'd rather just step through.
  11. Hello World :)

Ah i found it, It's a module called pdb . Am not sure how this is used by DDD, do they not have a FAQ or help email address? I jsut dont know how DDD works sorry . Have you ever hooked it up to perl or one of the others?

Mark.
    Last edited by netytan; August 1st, 2003 at 09:06 PM.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

15. Hello World :)

sweet, very interesting, DDD doest work for windows platforms does it?

Mark.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo