1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Python Scalability

I have been messing around with Python in recent weeks and have really come to love the language for scripting smaller tasks. Its really made me love programming again. ANd I would love to start using it in my job and try to convert the whole company to it.

But how well does it scale to enterrprise wide? IE the company currently runs an application on every desktop that talks to multiple servers (both internal and external) performs calculations, pushes info to another server, talks to local databases and remote ones, etc etc etc. Does Python scale up to large scale applications well? Especially in the GUI department?
  3. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Hi raga,

First off I'm glad you feel that way about Python . To answer your question, in my honest oppion "Python is very scalable!!!", it is sertainly as scalable as any of the other languages about today if not more so!

Because Python allows for OOP you can use pieces of code over and over and over, together with its rich libary, built-in fucntions, and clear syntax I really dont think you'll..

There are allot of articles on the web which compare the different sizes of programs writen in Python to other languages! To the best of my knowlage, Python Programs has been found to be typically several times shorter than it's equivelant Java programs and roughly double that in C/C++.

If you do a search on google I'm sure you'll find some of the articles I've described here

Good luck with Python!

Have fun,
    Mark.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ragabash, I would recommend you to look at Zope and Twisted Matrix for two examples of how you can create powerful network solutions with Python.

The links should ease your worries over the scalability of Python.
  7. Wacky hack
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Also, look into combining Python with C/C++ (embedding, using SWIG, etc). Wherever Python is insufficient, you can use some C code instead.

The only thing that I know of that Python is bad for is lots of number processing, where it's considerably slower than C.

And for GUI apps, look at QuickRip and in particular Gramps as two examples of GUI Python apps.
  9. No Profile Picture

You might find the Quotes page on python.org interesting:

http://python.org/Quotes.html

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo