1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Zope versus macromedia contribute

Hi

short question:
    whats the difference between zope4intranet and Macromedia Contribute (v1)

long question:
    I'm a web designer and i have a client who i recently provided a copy of contribute 1, I also provide them with hosting. They are having another site developed by another company who have asked if my server supports Zope, it doesn't and so i am likely going to lose out on providing my client with future hosting. I had never heard of zope till today and have found out its a form of content managment software.
    In which case i could go back to my client and say "you don't need to purchase zope with these guys because contribute should do everything zope does".... and then i can keep providing them with hosting, hurrah! Or is this not the case?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, even if it negative! I have to get back ot the client asap so please hurry!!!

all the best
    Last edited by do me a favour; September 16th, 2003 at 08:51 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I have no idea what Contribute does, but Zope is more than just CMS software, it's an entire web application framework. It's also not something you'd have to purchase anyway as it's absolutely free (and Free).
  5. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Zope is a very cool piece of software, I donít think you could really go wrong offering it with your hosting plan. However Zope is a lot more than a content management system! Which doesn't make it the easiest way to manage a website.

I think thereís a Zope product, which is supposed to make content management with Zope easier but I couldnít really comment on that.. and I havenít used contribute. But it should be the easier of the two to use!

Anyway thatís just my oppion. Zope rocks but the learning curve is quite steep to begin with and it takes a while to get the hang of.. for just content management, Iíd stick with contribute!

Mark.
    Last edited by netytan; September 16th, 2003 at 12:47 PM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo