1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Visualize x,y,z data - GUI

Hello everybody,
    Is there any possible way to visualise x,y, z data in any GUI from Python?
    I have this data on a txt file and in tif files. Its bathymetric data.. I just want the simple way to do this because im really new in python.

I need to visualise several bathymetric maps.. and extract information from the maps..

How can i do this? Any ideas?
  3. Commie Mutant Traitor
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

While I haven't used it myself, I understand that MatPlotLib has several tools for this sort of thing, and easy to use. While it is mostly for 2D imaging, it does have the mplot3d module, which can generate three dimensional plots.

If you need something more powerful, you can try Mayavi, though I understand that it can be a pain to install.
    Last edited by Schol-R-LEA; November 2nd, 2012 at 07:40 AM.
    Rev First Speaker Schol-R-LEA;2 JAM LCF ELF KoR KCO BiWM TGIF
    #define KINSEY (rand() % 7) λ Scheme is the Red Pill
    Scheme in Short Understanding the C/C++ Preprocessor
    Taming Python A Highly Opinionated Review of Programming Languages for the Novice, v1.1

FOR SALE: One ShapeSystem 2300 CMD, extensively modified for human use. Includes s/w for anthro, transgender, sex-appeal enhance, & Gillian Anderson and Jason D. Poit clone forms. Some wear. $4500 obo. tverres@et.ins.gov
  5. No Profile Picture

Matplotlib could be a solution. I didn't explain everything. My txt file was obtained trough the conversion from one raster to an ascii file. So this txt don't have the typical 3 columns x,y,z. I think this is the main problem. its geospatial data.

I have Mayavi installed. Its working properly but it requires that the data should be in a vtk format. i have no idea on how to convert it.

Thank you for your help.
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

You could look for a program that already converts the data types, or you could look for manuals that explain each data type and do the conversion yourself---sometimes this is painful, or there may be libraries that read and write each format to a common middle ground.
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have used matplotlib successfully to make graphs and charts and I think something like this is what you want. I have never tried it to make terrain or bathymetric graphs but it does appear to have those functions. I suggest you look into it, nothing ventured nothing gained!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo