1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Passing data to Mysql DB from serial port

First this is first time using Python. I'm trying to pass data from a serial port directly to MySQL db. I could read the port but I get a error stating that the Name humidity is not defined. What is the possible cause of this issue?

Code:
    import serial
    import MySQLdb
    ser = serial.Serial( '/dev/ttyUSB1', 9600, timeout=1 )
    conn = MySQLdb.connect( host='localhost', db='Weatherboard', user='rich', passwd='wordpass' )
    curs = conn.cursor()

s = ser.readline().strip("\r\n")

curs.execute( 'insert into weatherdata (humiditycol, sht15tempcol, scp1000tempccol, scp1000presscol, scp1000tempfcol, temt6000lightcol, batterycol) \
    values (%s, %s, %s, %s, %s, %s, %s)', (humidity, sht15temp, scp1000tempC, scp1000press, scp1000tempF, temt6000light, battery))
    conn.commit()
  3. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Storm017
    First this is first time using Python. I'm trying to pass data from a serial port directly to MySQL db. I could read the port but I get a error stating that the Name humidity is not defined. What is the possible cause of this issue?

Code:
    import serial
    import MySQLdb
    ser = serial.Serial( '/dev/ttyUSB1', 9600, timeout=1 )
    conn = MySQLdb.connect( host='localhost', db='Weatherboard', user='rich', passwd='wordpass' )
    curs = conn.cursor()

curs.execute( 'insert into weatherdata (humiditycol, sht15tempcol, scp1000tempccol, scp1000presscol, scp1000tempfcol, temt6000lightcol, batterycol) \
    values (%s, %s, %s, %s, %s, %s, %s)', (humidity, sht15temp, scp1000tempC, scp1000press, scp1000tempF, temt6000light, battery))
    conn.commit()
    Can you post your full code?
    How are you assigning a value to humidity?
  5. No Profile Picture

That is it...I was assuming %s was assigning the value. I guess a type needs to be declared.

Originally Posted by sheffieldlad
    Can you post your full code?
    How are you assigning a value to humidity?
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Code:

# insert code here to parse the string s
    # and assign values to all variables
    # (humidity, sht15temp, scp1000tempC, scp1000press, scp1000tempF, temt6000light, battery))

curs.execute(
        'insert into weatherdata '
        '(humiditycol, sht15tempcol, scp1000tempccol, scp1000presscol, scp1000tempfcol, temt6000lightcol, batterycol) '
        'values '
        '(%s, %s, %s, %s, %s, %s, %s)',
        (humidity, sht15temp, scp1000tempC, scp1000press, scp1000tempF, temt6000light, battery))
    Try to avoid backslash line continuation. I've never had to use one. Here I've used shorter lines than you posted without line continuations. It works because python reads lines through the expression closing parenthesis as part of a single statement.
    Python also concatenates successive strings.
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!
  9. No Profile Picture

The information you provided helped. The serial data is now being passed into MYsql db.

Originally Posted by b49P23TIvg
    Code:

# insert code here to parse the string s
    # and assign values to all variables
    # (humidity, sht15temp, scp1000tempC, scp1000press, scp1000tempF, temt6000light, battery))

curs.execute(
        'insert into weatherdata '
        '(humiditycol, sht15tempcol, scp1000tempccol, scp1000presscol, scp1000tempfcol, temt6000lightcol, batterycol) '
        'values '
        '(%s, %s, %s, %s, %s, %s, %s)',
        (humidity, sht15temp, scp1000tempC, scp1000press, scp1000tempF, temt6000light, battery))
    Try to avoid backslash line continuation. I've never had to use one. Here I've used shorter lines than you posted without line continuations. It works because python reads lines through the expression closing parenthesis as part of a single statement.
    Python also concatenates successive strings.
  11. No Profile Picture

Nice! Worked for me too.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo