1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Tell me if this list of mine is okay or not:

I have no idea why am I posting this in Python section (maybe, because it's my first programming language), sorry I couldn't find any other which was more applicable!
    OK, here's the thing:
    Since this is a list of more than half-a-dozen languages, I am not planning to get them done quickly, at least 10 years. Also, I am aware of the fact that programming is not easy, and just by accumulating 998,457,632,140 programming languages won’t make me a good programmer (I am not even sure that there 998,457,632,140 languages!), but I should know how to solve problems effectively and in as much as less time as possible. Also, I read somewhere that accumulating at least half a dozen languages is necessary. Anyway, I won’t waste your time, just tell me whether my list is okay or it needs some changes:

Starting with the basics:
    Python (Might learn XHTML along the way since I’ll also be covering Internet programming with Python and only with Python, no php or anything like that.)
    Perl

Getting to the powerful languages:
    C
    C#
    C++
    Java

Taking it to the web:
    Javascript
    PHP
    MySQL

(1.) Is that list correct or I just made an arbitrary list? I am learning Python and Perl since these will be my first languages and I want them to be easy but powerful; then the “C world” and Java since they are widely used and very powerful and finally, javascript, php and MySQL since they are widely used on the World Wide Web and I want to learn web programming.
    Thanks, in advance.

P.S. (2.) Do I need to include Lisp or Ruby in the ‘basics’ section?
    Last question: since you already know what my plan is, so I might as well post the question here:
    (3.) Till what extend do I need to learn Python?
    Here's my list:
    Learning Python (fundamentals), Programming Python (GUI, system, and interent programming)and Mining The Social Web (hacking under fb, twitter etc.). Do I need to include some more tutorials or not?
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Unsurprising to those who read my posts, I'll recommend that you learn j, freely available from www.jsoftware.com . It will give you a different perspective on programming.
    Tacit programming! Average is the sum divided by the tally. No variables required. j is unique as a data flow language. Multi-instruction, single data. However the data is an array of arbitrary rank and shape.

average=: +/ % #

Average works on high ranks. i. gives integers.
    Code:
       i. 3 5
     0  1  2  3  4
     5  6  7  8  9
    10 11 12 13 14

average i.3 5  NB. column average
    5 6 7 8 9

average"1 i.3 5  NB. row average
    2 7 12

Sure, you ought to be familiar with lisp. Won't take too long to study the original lisp paper.
    http://www.paulgraham.com/rootsoflisp.html

But whatever languages you choose, data structures and algorithms are critical to writing good programs.
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo