1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How can i be a real programmer if....

I don't really understand what, let's say, lista.append(x) does?

Well, let me explain. This isn't a real python question and it might even sound a bit philosophical...
    I'm making a good progress learning how to "program" with Python, but i don't really understand what lista.append(x) does.
    I know it appends x to the a list but how the hell the computer does that?

Python is really cool, but, for everything you need there's a module so you can just use pre-made code to do your stuff....Like PyGame or urllib.
    At some point i got a feeling that i'm just memorizing method's names and what they do and well, applying it.

Now, i gotta be honest, for my general level of experiencing in programming (quite a newb) i probably should not be even worried about this. But i am.
    Should i?

Will C or other "lower level" language satisfy a bit of my curiosity?
    Will i ever be a real programmer (and by real, i mean really understanding what your if statement causes the computer to do..)
    Or...this isn't what programming is really about and i'm just over kill?

Thank you.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

If you can afford it or find it, study The Art of Computer Programming by Don Knuth. And maybe you ought to go with some electronics. Or start with the DigiComp.
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by b49P23TIvg
    If you can afford it or find it, study The Art of Computer Programming by Don Knuth. And maybe you ought to go with some electronics. Or start with the DigiComp.
    Wow, the book seems to be really interesting and that toy is amazing and both aparently feets my needs.

Thank you.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by b49P23TIvg
    That video you have posted is phenomenal.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo