1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Programer's workstation setup

I would like to setup a new workstation for backend development and would be glad to hear some opinions on the device selection.

I currently work with a Macbook pro retina 15". The development will be mostly for linux systems and maybe some mobile.

The software I use is mainly terminal, vim for python development, eclipse and maybe some XCode. Also, automated scripts, remote server connections etc.

Do you believe one or two thunderbolt displays will increase my productivity? Any suggestions for external mouse? I really like the scrolling and gestures on the magic mouse, but it doesn't feel much comfortable. Do you have any alternatives for OSX?

Finally, do you believe switching to linux will give me and advantage?
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

More display area is often a good thing.
    linux is a great advantage if you take time to learn to use the shell tool set pipes and the basic programs this links to the coreutils description.

I prefer to keep my hands on the keyboard. Hence I chose a 15" laptop, Lenovo thinkpad with joystick in middle of keyboard, "touch pad" disabled so the pointer won't jump when I accidentally bump it. I've set up my window manager with 4 work spaces which I switch between using control alt arrow key. I'm right handed so when I do have an external mouse (at work) I set it up as a left handed mouse so my right hand can stay near the keyboard, especially that all important Enter button. Needless to say, perhaps, when I let someone else "drive", my computer becomes a useless stone for them. Oh well!

emacs is most worthwhile to learn, each day learn a new command. After that, gawk is insanely useful. And, since high level languages are the way to go, learn j. www.jsoftware.com
    Last edited by b49P23TIvg; August 30th, 2013 at 07:16 AM.
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!
  5. No Profile Picture

Hi and thank you for your answer. I read a few things so I conclude that you are right about the more display area. I haven't use emacs, I am trying to get used to vim currently, but I will have it in mind to check someday.

I laughed about the useless stone thing, pass it to xkcd or someone to visualise it :P
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

MORE MONITOR!!

If you find yourself having to switch between programs a lot (e.g. editor and browser), having more monitor space is always better. I have two 19" monitors on my main work system, and it's very helpful.

I'll give a second shoutout to Emacs; I took the time to tackle the learning curve many years ago now and it was well worth the trouble. It's not just a text editor, it's a do-whatever platform that slowly displaces all the other software you use. except the web browser, but there's conkeror for that .

I use Linux, but I've never used OSX so I can't comment on what would make you more productive; my Linux environment is tweaked and tuned for maximum workflow efficiency, but that's the result of years of evolving configuration, not just an out-of-the-box instant benefit.

If developing for iOS is part of the plan, I don't know if that's a go on Linux. I've never looked into it, but Apple doesn't have much of a history of providing software for desktop Linux.
  9. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

I had thought everyone has seen these.

A crash reduces
    your expensive computer
    to a simple stone.

I used to have an error message program that chose an Haiku randomly to include with its report.
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo