1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Talking Newbie question about strings and math using floats and ints.

Python is the first programming language I have tried to learn, so please bear with me. I am very new at this.

I am doing some exercises to try to find out how certain parts of Python work, and every time I think I know how to do something, I try some different things with it to see if I can use it in a scenario of my choosing. The short version is, why does the following code not work? I have successfully used floats before, and thought I had a good handle on them, but obviously not. So, what am I doing wrong?

Code:
    #None of the crap below this line works right and IDK why. 

#I specifically assigned the values to a floating point value to make Python do the math using floating point values on demand.

x = 34.0
    y = 68.0
    z = 240.0

print 'This is how to do floating point calculations with strings: if I multiply %d by %d and divide by %d, you get %d if you use the round() function to round the value to the nearest "int" value.' % (x, y, z, round(x * y / z)) # Apparently this is unnecessary as it's only rounding an int to an int, which is another way of saying it's rounding 9 into 9; it should be rounding 9.6333333333333333333333333333333 to 9.

print 'This produces a mathematical value as a "float": %d. Do you see how this is done?'  % (x * y / z) 

print 'This is how to do floating point calculations with strings: if I multiply %d by %d and divide by %d, you get %d if you use the round() function to round the value to the nearest "int" value.' % (x, y, z, round(x * y / z))
    Tools I am using:
    Notepad++ to do the coding work.
    Powershell in Windows with Python installed to run .py files that I make.
    I am using IDLE to test lines of code on the fly.
    Python 2.7.

Thank you.

****EDIT: I figured it out. Nevermind.
    Last edited by hypermagic2; October 9th, 2013 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Issue Resolved.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo