Thread: 2D lists

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

2D lists

I have no experience with python coding and i got an assignment about "Drawing Hills using 2D Lists

Could someone offer me some help, but i need it quick cause i got to present the assignment soon.

{Assignment}
    A classic draw some ASCII patterns problem, turned onto it's horizontal side. Lets draw some hills, of various heights.

The input file DATA1.txt will contain 5 lines, integers 0 <= N <= 5

The output file OUT1.txt will contain 5 lines, the scene generated, as described below.

Background is drawn with . (period)s, hills are triangles in shape, height specified by input, and are drawn with letter x. Refer to sample input.

Code:
    Sample Input
    Code:
    Code:
    Sample output
    Code:
    .............x...
    ......x.....xxx..
    ..x..xxx...xxxxx.
    xxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxx
    Hints

• This is a perfect time to try and use a 2D list (matrix.) This assignment is possible to complete using a series of nested for-loops and interesting math, but using a matrix will be easier/better.

• When you are ready to print out your matrix, you may want an easier way to get those array elements back into a single string. Investigate Python's join() function for this.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

This forum actually isn't for homework cheating. You should supply your programming effort and request specific help.

The input file DATA1.txt will contain 5 lines, integers 0 <= N <= 5

Can you write code to open and read a file line by line? The data will not be of integer type. Can you convert a string representation of a number to an integer?

The output file OUT1.txt will contain 5 lines, the scene generated, as described below.

Can you, using python, create a file? You'll need to.

As far as the algorithm goes, I'd create an array that's 9*5 rows by 5 columns, all dots. Work on the rows one at a time. Delete the excess rows, and transpose. Then send it to output.

You'll realize, I hope, the project is a bit screwy. Only the 0 height hills return to 0. That is, the 0 is a pain-in-the-butt special-case.
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo