1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

dummies programming book

Can anyone recommend book thats similar to a "programming for dummies book"
    for kids or someone with no programming knowledge
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This link has tutorials for people who haven't programmed before.
    http://www.python.org/topics/learn/non-prog.html
  5. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Books wise i'd think that sams Teach yourself Python in 24 hours would be a good bet..

I havn't actually read this one but if any of there other books are anything to go by then! The first programming book i read was sams teach yourself perl in 24 hours and i'm definatly a big fan of their whole teach yourself range (the ones i've read).. generally they start off very basic and explaine things in an easy/fun way then move up to more complex things..

Note: just because i liked them doesn't mean you will and theres not garentee sams Teach yourself Python in 24 hours will be anything like its brothers and sisters!

Mark.
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Hula

7. Hello World :)

I found this review on Amazon.co.uk, hope you find it interesting.

phil.edwards@linux2000.org.uk
    The book is divided roughly into 3: The first section covers concepts of Python programming, the second deals with Python's OOP feature set and the final chapters take a look at programming GUI apps using the TkInter widget set. The author thoughtfully provides all of the sample code and exercises as a download from his web site.

My main reason for buying the book was to get up to speed on the basic concepts of Python as quickly as possible, in order to be able to maintain a suite of administrative tools written in Python as part of my job, and it has satisfied this requirement admirably. Unlike a lot of the "Teach Yourself XXX in YY Hours/Days" series of books, the end of chapter exercises are actually fun to do. Each chapter is rounded off with a short reference section for those who want to follow up on any of the topics discussed.

The middle section introduces Pythons OOP features. I found this section reasonably easy reading; each new concept is introduced in a logical sequence, and comparisons are made with other OOP-enabled languages, primarily C++ and Java. The examples given are initially fairly trivial, serving to illustrate a concept rather than actually do something useful, put once the reader starts to gain familiarity with Python OOP, slightly more productive examples are given.

The final section covers GUI applications using TkInter. This topic is, at present, pretty much irelevant to me, although I did skim quickly through it just to get a feel for the basic groundwork. The text struck me as pretty much in keeping with the rest of the book in terms of writing style and approach to the subject matter.

Overall, a god book for an absolute Python beginner, although you will undoubtedly find the text easier to follow if you have a little experience with other programming languges.
    Good luck.
    Mark.

9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The Sams teach yourself... book is a bit outdated now, it covers version 1.5.2, and many things have changed since then. I have read that book myself, and think it's "ok, but not great".

Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner is probably a better choice. One of the newest Python books, and targeted at complete beginners.
    Good web hosting info - articles about web hosting
    hb's web dev blog
  11. Hello World :)

You'd think they would tell you these things in the books description , Learning Python from O'really did the same thing, it's just so dangerously outdated!

Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner does look pretty cool though

Mark.

13. No Profile Picture
    Hi, I'm Calvin

don't forget to play with IDLE while you're reading
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The new "Learning Python" is coming to a bookstore near you sometime soon, if they don't keep pushing the publication date (14 jan was the last I saw).

I think a previous thread concluded that there are problems with the Windows version of IDLE (possibly a Tk issue), but there are alternatives. I use Jedit now.
    Last edited by ilves; November 4th, 2003 at 07:07 PM.
  17. Hello World :)

I havn't had any real problems with IDLE, i wouldn't use if for large programs but for interacting with the Python shell it's a nice app.. of course the shell itself is very usefull if you dont like IDLE!

I'm using CodeGenie + a syntax file i wrote for Python 2.3 which has updated highlighting for keywords, types, operators and builtin-functions (new). i've tried Jedit but i really dislike Java so it was a short relationship on both parts

Mark.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo