1. Administrator
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

"The R Language is Swallowing Python"

Found this in the news, and I know we have some active Python posters so I thought it might be of interest!

The full article: In data science, the R language is swallowing Python | InfoWorld

Python remains the No. 1 tool for data science. As the report authors conclude, “Python is definitely top dog when it comes to data.” ... There’s reason to believe Python’s dominance won’t last.
    Within the burgeoning big data realm, we’re likely to see a melding of the two tools: Python, the developer-friendly generalist data language, and R, the data expert’s language. The question in my mind is whether we’ll need both long term.
    Martijn Theuwissen of DataCamp puts it this way: “Python is used by programmers that want to delve into data analysis or apply statistical techniques, and by developers that turn to data science." ... R, by contrast, allows “statistical models [to be] written with only a few lines.” While experienced programmers shouldn’t have too much trouble picking up R, there’s a learning curve associated with it.
    The article seems to focus partly on R's jump in "popularity," from 9th to 6th over the course of last year, and whether that will continue to the point of it eclipsing "the big 5" of Java, C, C++, Python, and C#
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

A great deal of linux depends upon python, it'll be around for a while.
    Sentences written in Ken Iverson's final dialect of APL J Home, the j programming language win almost every golf contest. Many j programmers are also R programmers. I'm not one of them.
    Thank you for keeping us up to date on this year's language popularity poll. Should devshed push R out of "other languages" into it's own forum?

golf code: shortest program for a task.
    Programming Puzzles & Code Golf Stack Exchange
    Last edited by b49P23TIvg; July 24th, 2015 at 05:51 PM.
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

There are R bindings for Python so you don't have to choose one or the other which is the flaw in the article's point of view.
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Why would a narrow specialized language like R swallow a general language like Python?
    The article doesn't make any sense.
    Real Programmers always confuse Christmas and Halloween because Oct31 == Dec25
  9. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    The popularity of R is mainly due to the "big data" buzz. I work with quite a few statisticians and they use R quite a bit with our hadoop cluster, because (a) they learned to use S in school (R is the GNU version of S, which is a commercial product) and (b) they aren't really interested in learning general programming, but need a way to get statistical results.

The rest of us use java, perl and python against our big data . We do different sorts of things than the statistical group anyway, so it is a matter of just using the right tool for the job (and using any reasonable tool that you're comfortable with). Incidentally, some of those tasks include massaging the data beforehand, so that the R guys can then run their code against it.

Comments on this post

• markroberts agrees : Interesting!
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  11. Administrator
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Dietrich
    The article doesn't make any sense.
    Originally Posted by dwblas
    There are R bindings for Python so you don't have to choose one or the other which is the flaw in the article's point of view.
    Aye, that's the impression I got after reading it. I don't have a huge amount of knowledge about Python, but it seemed like a strange opinion piece so I thought I'd bring it here for wiser minds.

Originally Posted by b49P23Tlvg
    Should devshed push R out of "other languages" into it's own forum?
    Well, I'm not sure! The admin team has been thinking about adding more "big data" sections. Do you think there would be an interest here?
  13. Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Interest? As remarked in the front page shouts interest in devshed forums is declining. A graph of posts per month might be revealing.
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo