1. Prisoner of the Sun

What does this pattern do?

I don't think I need this pattern - what's it doing? It uses html entites so I added a space before the semi-colons:
    PHP Code:
    $value preg_replace(array('/\$([0-9])/''/\\\\([0-9])/'), array('&#36 ;\1''&#92 ;\1'), $value); 
    Thanks,
    Last edited by b3n; February 4th, 2010 at 07:18 AM.
    :: My blip.fm tunes :: Web Design Feeds :: Web Dev Feeds :: CheatSheets :: PHP :: MySQL :: 13 Moon FB App.

"All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. We are all one consciousness experiencing itself - subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream. We are the imaginations of ourselves."
    - Bill Hicks

"Truth is hidden in the subtle nature of the heart of everything, although it is invisible. One cannot see it from inside and neither from the surface. One can only live and experience it."
    - Heart Sutra
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It's replacing $4 with &#36 ;4, and \4 with &#92 ;4. Naturally the '4' can be any digit.

Since there really isn't any reason for this aside from going overboard on HTML encoding, I vote for "you don't need it."

However, if you're going to be running a string through exec() or something...you may need it. But don't do that.

-Dan
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. Prisoner of the Sun

Thanks,

I'm re-writing the PHPLIB template class - and I'm sure I can change some of these preg_ functions for str_replace().

A finish() function reverses the first replace! However I commented out these preg_replace() calls and eveything seemed to work still - except much faster!
    PHP Code:
    function set_var()
    {

// $value = preg_replace(array('/\$([0-9])/', '/\\\\([0-9])/'), array('$\1', '\\1'), $value);

$this->varkeys[$varname] = '/'.$this->varname($varname).'/';

$this->varvals[$varname] = $value;
    }

function 
    finish()
    {
          switch (
    $this->unknowns)
          {
              case 
    'keep':
              break;

case 
    "remove":

$str preg_replace('/{{[^\s\t\r\n}]+}}/'''$str);
              break;

case 
    'comment':

$str preg_replace('/{{([^\s\t\r\n}]+)}}/'"<!-- Template variable \\1 undefined -->"$str);
              break;
          }

// $str = preg_replace(array('/$([0-9])/', '/\([0-9])/'), array('$\1', '\\\1'), $str);

return $str;

Is it something to do with back-references?

Also do you know which of these patterns is likely to be faster?
    PHP Code:
    $pattern1 '/{{([^\s\t\r\n}]+)}}/';

$pattern2 '/{{([A-Z0-9]+)}}/'
    Cheers
    :: My blip.fm tunes :: Web Design Feeds :: Web Dev Feeds :: CheatSheets :: PHP :: MySQL :: 13 Moon FB App.

"All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. We are all one consciousness experiencing itself - subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream. We are the imaginations of ourselves."
    - Bill Hicks

"Truth is hidden in the subtle nature of the heart of everything, although it is invisible. One cannot see it from inside and neither from the surface. One can only live and experience it."
    - Heart Sutra
  7. Sarcky

I don't think it has anything to do with back-references, no.
    PHP Code:
    $pattern1 '/{{([^\s\t\r\n}]+)}}/';

$pattern2 '/{{([A-Z0-9]+)}}/'
    They do different things. One matches anything that's not a whitespace or a }. The second matches capital letters and numbers only. So the first one matches "#@Hello_!--&," while the second will not. I can't speak to the speed of either one, I'd assume they would be close enough that it wouldn't matter.

-Dan

Comments on this post

• derelict agrees

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  9. Prisoner of the Sun

Thanks,

The patterns are trying to match template variable names. The variables are formatted like {{VAR1_NAME}}.

Variable names will only ever consist of letters, numbers and underscores so I think pattern2 is more suitable.

- Bill Hicks

- Heart Sutra
  11. Sarcky

Oh good, then yes the second pattern is best. Note that it's case-sensitive too.

Comments on this post

• b3n agrees

13. Prisoner of the Sun

Yep - variables are always upper case.

Originally the template class enclosed variables in single braces, which caused it to strip out inline css/javascript. So I changed the class to use double braces instead.

That would probably be enough but the class has not been updated since 2002 and is less than 500 lines of code, so I thought I'd try to improve it

Thanks for the help

- Bill Hicks

- Heart Sutra

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo