1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help Needed Matching a String, using Regex's Or function

Hi,

I just recently found out that Regex might be a way to solve a currently problem I am attempting to solve.

What I have is a string, like the following:
    "Bill says............\"Oh, [player id=3425549]O'Sullivan[/player] cut that one up like a wee 9-iron!\" The ball sails straight between the sticks as [team id=44328]Reaper RFC[/team] ease out to a 7 point lead."

I want to be able to see if another string matches up to this one, but sort of working out every possible combination, I found out that Regex has a sort of or function, but I am having trouble getting it to work, in java...

Heres an example of the type of pattern I want to use on the above sentence:
    "Bill says............\"Oh, ([player id=3425549]O'Sullivan[/player]|[player id=56746531]McDonnell[/player]|[player id=35604392]Lyons[/player]) cut that one up like a wee 9-iron!\" The ball sails straight between the sticks as ([team id=44328]Reapers[/team]|[team id=44328]Reaper RFC[/team]) ease out to a 7 point lead."

So when I compile the above pattern and run it against the previous sentence I am hoping to get a match, is this possible using Regex and Java, and if it is where am I going wrong with my pattern?

Thanks in advance
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

What are you actually trying to accomplish? You can be much more generic than this and just match any string that has a [player] tag followed somewhere by a [team] tag. To specific which players and teams are valid is more difficult.

-Dan
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo