1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Newbie Please Help

I was progressing (I thought) pretty well at understanding regex using ruby but something I thought should work is not working

<title>Philadelphia 76ers vs. New York Knicks

Code:
    /<title>(\w+\s){1,3}\svs/
    In my mind should return:
    <title>Philadelphia 76ers vs

Obviously it doesn't or I wouldn't be here, I'm guessing that when you use the ranges on the metacharacters there is a trick to grouping them together?

I was running through the tutorial at regular-expressions.info and thought I knew what I was doing but after 30 minutes I don't wanna keep throwing things at it that will frustrate me. I know I'm missing either a trick or something dead easy, regular expressions have always been a bugaboo for me - they just don't click - I thought they were and it's vital for my project that I get it - but I just don't see this.

Any help - even a push in the right direction would be vastly appreciated.

Thank you
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I suspect that it's not working because your code requires two spaces (or other white-space characters) before the "vs".

Try this, which will require one or more white-space characters (technically, one plus zero or more):
    Code:
    /<title>(\w+\s){1,3}\s*vs/
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    I suspect that it's not working because your code requires two spaces (or other white-space characters) before the "vs".

Try this, which will require one or more white-space characters (technically, one plus zero or more):
    Code:
    /<title>(\w+\s){1,3}\s*vs/
    That didn't work sadly, let's say we drop the vs issue

Code:
    /<title>(\w+\s{1,3}/
    Still won't yeild the right issue - it yields only 76ers.

One Solution I came up with today at work is

Code:
    /\w+\svs/
    which does yield 76ers vs which I can work with

However this was just the first half of my problem

Here is the full line of what I'm working with

Code:
    <title>Philadelphia 76ers vs. New York Knicks - Box Score - January 11, 2012 - ESPN</title>
    What I'd LIKE to isolate is Philadelphia 76ers AND New York Knicks

If you know the NBA you know where i'm going with this, the city / names between the vs will vary file after file but I need to extract that information to populate a database
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Solved?

So after some trial and error and a bit more study I believe I have a solution (that I've tested by adding additional words between <title> and vs

For anyone interested in such a scan - what worked in ruby was this

Code:
    /<title>([\w+\s+]*)vs/
    The parentheses and the [] combination works while the single parentheses didn't - and ([]) works differently than ([])

I confirmed that this works by adding additional words and the regex works each time.
  9. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Oh, right. The "{1,3}" after the capturing group would only capture the last time it's used.

Congrats on finding a solution yourself. In case you're interested in an alternative solution...

The "?:" at the beginning of the inner pair of parenthesis makes it just a plain group instead of a capturing group.
    Code:
    /<title>((?:\w+\s){1,3})\s*vs/
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I haven't fully completed the regular-expressions.info tutorial yet my understanding of the ?: was that it had to do with back references?

In the end - after some thought, the information I'm going to need is that right before the vs and right before the - (I need only the team name to identify the team abbreviation from my other table for insertion into another table - it's all part of a parsing system I'm building to download nba box scores and shot charts) so I'll have to figure those out, but I was glad I solved the issue just because regex has always been a problem to me - I'm glad I toughed it out. I'll look at that ?: more deeply so I can learn the difference between a plain group and capturing group.

I think what you're saying is that if it's a capturing group it's looking for the same thing over and over that it captured the first time (like philadelphia, repeatedly?), but I thought that only referred to the back references?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo