1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Smile Regex match; replacing with lowercase

Hi

I am using Geany text editor which has a built in regex for search terms and replace terms.
    I am open to using any tool available on Linux

My matching regex is
    ([a-zA-Z])- ([a-zA-Z])-([a-zA-Z])

This finds for example
    a-Z-B
    E-a-G
    h-r-T

I wish to replace the same text with all lower case i.e
    a-z-b
    e-a-g
    h-r-t

In Geany replacing the group is like this
    \1-\2-\3
    except that this will simply replace the match with what is already there.

How do I match and then replace the same with lower case using Geany, or any other Linux tool.

Thanks
  3. Forgotten Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Mere regular expressions can't do things like transform text to lowercase. You need support from whatever tool/language to do that; Perl, for example, can because it's part of the language.
    I don't know of any editors that support it as well. It's worth checking, though: probably a \l or \L.

So that means an "other Linux tool". Like sed.
    Code:
    sed 's/([a-zA-Z])- ([a-zA-Z])-([a-zA-Z])/\L&/'
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Talking

Originally Posted by requinix
    Mere regular expressions can't do things like transform text to lowercase. You need support from whatever tool/language to do that; Perl, for example, can because it's part of the language.
    I don't know of any editors that support it as well. It's worth checking, though: probably a \l or \L.

So that means an "other Linux tool". Like sed.
    Code:
    sed 's/([a-zA-Z])- ([a-zA-Z])-([a-zA-Z])/\L&/'
    Thank you. That certainly sent me in the right direction.
    Here is the bash script I created. If anyone needs to do selective substitution of upper-case for lower-case here is how. Below script uses sed to do in file replacement.

Code:
    #/bin/bash!
    sed -ie ':a;N;$!ba;s|<keybind key="\([A-Za-z]\)-\([A-Za-z0-9]\)-\([A-Za-z0-9]\)-\([A-Za-z0-9]\)|<keybind key="\L\1-\L\2-\L\3-\L\4|g' /home/user/Desktop/lubuntu-rc.xml
    sed -ie ':a;N;$!ba;s|<keybind key="\([A-Za-z]\)-\([A-Za-z0-9]\)-\([A-Za-z0-9]\)|<keybind key="\L\1-\L\2-\L\3|g' /home/user/Desktop/lubuntu-rc.xml
    sed -ie ':a;N;$!ba;s|<keybind key="\([A-Za-z]\)-\([A-Za-z0-9]\)|<keybind key="\L\1-\L\2|g' /home/user/Desktop/lubuntu-rc.xml
  7. Forgotten Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

By the way, \L uppercases everything after it - you only need the one just before \1, and it stays in effect until a \E (if present) or the end of the string.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo