1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

match words with parentheses

Original String = <p>This is a test (<abbr title="TestTestTest">TTT</abbr> and <abbr title="HelpHelpHelp">HHH</abbr>)</p>
    Wanted String = <p>This is a test(TTT and HHH)</p>

Can only be applied is abbr tags are within parentheses

Currently searching this \(<abbr title="(.*?)">(.*?)<\/abbr>\) and replacing matches with $2

This works, but only if there is just 1 instance of the abbr tag in the parentheses. If there are 2 or more, it messes up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
  3. Headless Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Are you doing this through code? What language? Because the best solution to get rid of the ABBRs is to use something that can parse HTML, find the tags, and remove them.
  5. No Profile Picture

Yes, through code. We have a small C# tool that applies ABBRs to HTML code using a database of acronyms. Once added, it removes any that have been added to acronyms that are in parentheses. I didn't build this tool and am simply trying to adjust the regex line to fix the issue when there are more than one ABBR within parentheses.
  7. Headless Moderator

But... if the problem is that ABBRs are being added to places they shouldn't, wouldn't that mean the proper solution would to be make it stop doing that?
  9. No Profile Picture

I guess I'm not trying to reinvent the tool. As I mentioned, this is something that was built by someone else. The process they chose to use was to add ABBRs everywhere and then remove any that may have been added in parentheses. They simply forgot to think about times where 2 or more were added between parentheses. Other than this function, the rest of the tool's functionality works perfectly. So If I could find a quick REGEX line that would address this issue, I'd be golden. Any help would be appreciated.
  11. Headless Moderator

Can you safely assume that parentheses are balanced? The normal tactic for this problem is to find the thing (ABBR) then make sure that somewhere following it is a closing parenthesis without an opening parenthesis in between.
    Code:
    #<abbr title="(.*?)">(.*?)</abbr>(?=[^(\r\n]*\))#
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    Can you safely assume that parentheses are balanced? The normal tactic for this problem is to find the thing (ABBR) then make sure that somewhere following it is a closing parenthesis without an opening parenthesis in between.
    Code:
    #<abbr title="(.*?)">(.*?)</abbr>(?=[^(\r\n]*\))#
    Yes, there would be no opening parenthesis in between for sure.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo