1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Basic ruby program to count chars

Heyya, So I got a new assignment in my uni, but so far I have only learned c++ and suddenly they throw us into ruby, (assholes!)

I got the program this far

#!/usr/bin/ruby
    print "write a sentence: "
    sentence= gets
    puts "#{setning}"
    "#{setning}".each_char {|c| print c, ' ' }

But I dont know where to go from here, the program should do as follows:

If I write hello world

as input then the program should read out
    1*d, 1*e, 1*h, 3*l, 2*o, 1*r, 1*w.

so, only lower case and in alphabetical order without showing 0*f for example.

in c++ i would do something like fin.eof{ if a( a++)

and so on, not 100% sure how but, can anyone help me with this this is so confusing

Maybe a array would be a good idea? but I wouldnt know how to utilize it or how to make it in ruby
  3. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

this requires no Ruby-specific functionalities at all. If you can write down the pseudo-code, you shouldn't have any problems implementing it in Ruby.

So what's the pseudo-code? Or C++ code, if you want.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  5. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Looks like your assignment wasn't so important after all.

Anyway, this is actually an interesting task, because it shows the versatility of Ruby. You can solve this in a classical way using a Hash. Or you can take advantage of Ruby's highlevel methods.

By far the simplest and shortest solution would be to use String#char. But I guess that's kinda cheating.

ruby Code:
    input = "Hello world"

('a'..'z').each do |char|
      count = input.downcase.count char
      puts "#{count} * #{char}" if count > 0
    end
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo