1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Beginning is the best place to start

As most of us know the beginning is the best place to start when learning something new.

I am looking to lear Ruby as a project, the problem i have come across is where to start.

When you were learning ruby how did you start? Where would you recommend someone coming into ruby with prior PHP/ C#/ ASP experience to begin?

Thanks
    --------===============--------
    I host my website with: EUKHOST
    Blogging and SEO Tips
    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER @matthew_seymour
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I bought the pickaxe though I believe it is free online nowadays; that served as my reference manual.
    I was lucky enough to have a work environment that encouraged employees to extend their horizons so my first projects were work related, and thus well-defined. If you dont have anything particular in mind why not just pick a project you recent completed (doesnt matter how large or small) and redo it in ruby. That will separate the need to think about design while learning a new language and it will also allow you to map functionality of this new language to constructs you are familiar with in other languages.
    From there is it a matter of interest and exploration.
    True happiness is not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've already got.

My Blog
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for your input. I have just downloaded a few ebooks, and I will now convert an aging website into a ruby spectacular.
    --------===============--------
    I host my website with: EUKHOST
    Blogging and SEO Tips
    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER @matthew_seymour

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo