1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Embedded Ruby without Rails

Hi. I started learning ruby and ruby on rails last week. I have a lot of experience with C and perl, including database manipulation with via cgi and using perl to generate javascript, etc.

Ruby seems very nice, but I am starting to find the rails class=table concept repulsive. Also, I do not need rails to do what I want *if* embedded ruby remains feasible. It is not clear to me how realistic that is: can I set out that way and expect to get server support? How? Or is the erb limited to a rails framework, and I should just go learn php instead?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by mk27
    Hi. I started learning ruby and ruby on rails last week. I have a lot of experience with C and perl, including database manipulation with via cgi and using perl to generate javascript, etc.

Ruby seems very nice, but I am starting to find the rails class=table concept repulsive. Also, I do not need rails to do what I want *if* embedded ruby remains feasible. It is not clear to me how realistic that is: can I set out that way and expect to get server support? How? Or is the erb limited to a rails framework, and I should just go learn php instead?
    You should probably learn PHP to be honest, but Ruby is a fine language :P
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

ERB is part of Ruby proper. You can use it without any attachment to Rails. For example:
    Code:
    irb(main):001:0> require 'erb'
    => true
    irb(main):002:0> erb_str = "<%= x %>"
    => "<%= x %>"
    irb(main):003:0> template = ERB.new erb_str
    => #<ERB:0x35b394 @safe_level=nil, @src="_erbout = ''; _erbout.concat(( x ).to_s); _erbout", @filename=nil>
    irb(main):004:0> x = 42
    => 42
    irb(main):005:0> puts template.result binding
    => nil
    True happiness is not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've already got.

My Blog

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo