Thread: Hello

1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hello

Hello, I am interested in learning Ruby. Can anyone suggest a good IDE/Compiler to use? I use Code::Blocks which is multi-platform, but I'm not sure if I can implement Ruby into it... and if I can, then I'm not sure how, as I've never done so before.

Also, can someone tell me some benefits to programming in Ruby?

Thanks,
    Larek
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Why are you interested in learning Ruby if you do not yet know the benefits of such an act?

Ruby is a scripting language that is, in many ways, comparable to Python - but don't say that to a Rubyist or Pythonista. Ever.

Your best bet is to employ google and form a rough estimate of what the language can do (pay specific mind to the fact that Ruby is not the same as Ruby on Rails). Once you have that, return with more pointed questions.
    True happiness is not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've already got.

My Blog
  5. Contributing User

Okay, I can do that. Thanks L7Sqr =)

now, to answer your question:

Why are you interested in learning Ruby if you do not yet know the benefits of such an act?
    I want to expand my knowledge from merely coding in C++ and I've tried to learn Perl, but that wasn't a language that I wasn't motivated to learn, and upon looking at some of the questions posted here, Ruby looked like something that would be something I could get into easier than Perl.

one last thing:
    return with more pointed questions.
    I do have one that remains unanswered:

Can anyone suggest a good IDE/Compiler to use? I use Code::Blocks which is multi-platform, but I'm not sure if I can implement Ruby into it... and if I can, then I'm not sure how, as I've never done so before.
    I would like to have some area to code in, so I can at least find out how to do my Hello World program, and fiddle around with it, so as to expand my knowledge.

and I have one more:

What are the main differences between Ruby and Ruby on Rails?
    Last edited by Larek Robinson; December 13th, 2010 at 06:04 PM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Ruby is not compiled, it is an interpreted language meaning that it is read line-by-line and executed in turn.

You will need to download the language for your platform. As far as editors, use what is comfortable and supports syntax highlighting.

As I mentioned, Ruby is a language. Rails is a framework built on top of that language. Each has its share of websites out there that give much more detail that a single post here can. I would suggest you google for RubyQuiz though. It has a range of puzzles with answers all in Ruby - I'm not sure how active it is anymore but I believe the archives are still preserved. It would make a good introduction to Ruby-isms and flavor.
    True happiness is not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've already got.

My Blog
  9. Contributing User

The NetBeans IDE offers good Ruby support, with a built-in trace.

Ruby is the language.

Rails is an application framework that is written in Ruby, and is used in building the infrastructure for websites.
  11. Contributing User

Okay, I downloaded and installed the NetBeans IDE for Ruby (and I even installed the plugin for C/C++). L7, I looked into RubyQuiz at school and it looked interesting, from what I could see(most of it was blocked by our fricking web filters....) and I intend on looking more in depth tonight.Thank you both for your help. =)
  13. Contributing User

My opinion is that when you're started with learning a new language, a full fledged IDE is more like a crutch. Best to stick to a normal editor like TextMate or Sublime Text. Once you have a hold of the language, THEN think about an IDE like RubyMine.

Saving money is easy with discount codes from Rollback coupons. Coupon codes for online purchases.
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by L7Sqr
    Sometimes we don't need to know the benefits we can get. When curiosity knocks, everything is possible and besides almost everything in this world now can be learned.

Ruby is a great programming language and I would admit I still need to learn tons that would help me come up with a very good app.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Checkout Activestate (proprietary) and Geany (open source) for for IDE's.

Both Ruby and Python kind of fill the same niche. Right now Ruby is a tad more popular for the web, and Python is more popular for their other uses.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo