1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help with finding array inside of an array for a simple algorithm

Hello,

So say I have the following array of arrays:

Code:
    example = [['strrngy'], ['st', 'rr', 'ngy'], ['str', 'rngy'], ['strr', 'ngy'], ['str', 'rn', 'gy'], ['st', 'rrn', 'gy'], ['st', 'rrngy'], ['strrn', 'gy']]
    As you can see, example is many different versions of the word 'strrngy', broken down into combinations of sequential characters in a row of 2 or more.

Now, suppose I also have a dictionary of many words (but I will fill the example dictionary with random words):

Code:
    dict = ['strringy', 'rangy', 'stare', 'guy', 'rain', 'string', 'gay', 'yag', 'eats', 'stringg']
    What I want to do is cycle through dict with each group of words (or single word) in example[0] to example[-1].

I want to check if any strings in example match up with a word in dict. The catch is the words in example can include a vowel (but no extra consoants). The second catch is that for each group of strings in example, there must be a match in dict for all of the strings, or the match is invalid.

Expected output:

For example[0] the expected output for matches in dict would be:
    strringy
    example[1]:
    Nothing--no match for the 'rr' part
    example[2]:
    stare, rangy
    example[3]:
    Nothing matches
    example[4]:
    stare, run, guy
    stare, run, gay
    # two distinct matches here. Notice yag doesn't work because of what I specified above.
    example[5], example[6], example[7]:
    No matches

Final output (ideally stored in a variable?)

Code:
    final = [['stare', 'rangy'], ['stare', 'run', 'guy',], ['stare', 'run', 'gay']]

p "The matches were #{final}, and there #{final.size} total matching phrases!"
    #=> "The matches were ['stare', 'rangy'], ['stare', 'run', 'guy',], ['stare', 'run', 'gay'], and there 3 total matching phrases!"

I want to write a loop or method that will print out all of the answers to this question at once, and print the answer for example[n] in the correct order. Ie, for example[2], do NOT print rangy, stare; this is not the correct order.

I started by taking dict, and using a regex to take out the vowels from each word in dict.

Code:
    foo = dict with no vowels
    Then match a word or words in foo with word or words in example.

I don't know if what I am asking is possible, but I wanted to reach out for help as I am working on this for fun as a side project. Any help is much appreciated.
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Not exactly sure which part(s?) you want help with, but it looks like you try to use the example array as one-dimensional, when you have it created as two-dimensional.

Using example[0] will give you the array object ['strrngy'], while example[0][0] will give you the value 'strrngy'.

Similar, to get the value 'rr' you will have to use example[1][1].

Before you try comparing arrays, I will suggest you make sure you get the correct/expected value.
    Do you know how to iterate through multi-dimensional array? What about the each function? If not, I suggest you try to look this up in first place.

If there are something I have misunderstood, please clarify.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo