1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

PHP or Ruby on rails for web development

I am interested to learn something new. I have experience with HTML,CSS and I m going to learn Javascript. I know php is the most popular server side script language. but I have also read about Ruby which is becoming more and more popular year by year. do you think I have to stick to php or Ruby?
  3. Contributing User

Good question. I'm interested in the answer myself. All of my websites are programmed in PHP. But Ruby is getting more and more popular every day. I would like to start a website in Ruby instead of PHP but I don't know if it's worth my time. Does Ruby have lots of advantages over PHP?
  5. Contributing User

Once you switch to Ruby on Rails, you'll never go back!

I was a PHP developer for over 10 years and just 4 months of using Ruby, I've become a life long fan. The language is elegant.

Simply put, Ruby is like Mac and PHP is like Windows!

Saving money is easy with discount codes from Rollback coupons. Coupon codes for online purchases.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I don't think comparing ruby to mac is a good way to sell it.

PHP is useful in a greater number of situation where legacy code is involved, or if you want to use drop in libraries, or helper programs.

If you project is mostly from the ground up then I would definitely use Ruby or Python.
  9. No Profile Picture

These days, I am thinking seriously about learning ruby. PHP is a scripting language, Ruby on Rails is a web development framework based on the scripting language Ruby.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by RubyOrPhp
    I am interested to learn something new. I have experience with HTML,CSS and I m going to learn Javascript. I know php is the most popular server side script language. but I have also read about Ruby which is becoming more and more popular year by year. do you think I have to stick to php or Ruby?
    Personally I would say go with PHP first, because there's a lot more out there regarding it than ruby at least in my experience so far. I know php already but I am branching into ruby on rails but the information for setting up the environment correctly for ruby on rails and is typically not all at in one nice single location. If you do do ruby on rails there is a good tutorial book on it located at http://ruby.railstutorial.org/ruby-on-rails-tutorial-book is a good place to start.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo