1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Rails Deployment - please save me from harakiri

I have been trying to deploy for the first time all weekend and I am repeatedly slamming my face into that brick wall. It's getting a bit messy.

I've tried about 10 different tutorials, some using capistrano & subversion, some using only ftp, etc etc. Each and every time I end up with a 500 Internal Server Error.

I am trying to deploy to a Dreamhost account, and the app is done with rails 2.1.1 (I know, but by the time I realized this I'd already put a lot of work into manipulating a plugin and I REALLY didn't want to backtrack.) I am using RedCloth & Will Paginate.

If someone is able to help walk me through this I would be so incredibly grateful. I am extremely frustrated at this point and highly annoyed at my ex professor who failed to teach us this somewhat vital final step in our Rails course.

If you are even able to point me to a relevant tutorial which I could then quiz you about that would be helpful as well. If you need any info from my configuration, etc, just let me know.

THANK YOU !
  3. No Profile Picture

I am really very unlikely to be of much assistance as I just started with ruby, rails, and sql last week, but, just in case you are saying you have not gotten an app to work, period, then maybe I might have some advice, cause I have managed to walk thru a tutorial, create a db, create controllers and views, and end up with a fully functional (but incredibly simple) app, and I'm now trying to build up from there.

Anyway, the tutorial I found most useful was this one:
    http://www.tutorialspoint.com/ruby-on-rails/
    altho I started it in the middle and got most of what I needed by the end of the "views" part.

I do have a decent amount of C, perl, and some js & cgi to me. If you are still having a rough time, post here and I will be (most likely) around doing the same thing tomorrow.
  5. Contributing User

I did in the end get it working. I ended up installing my own copy of rails on my server and working from there.

I think the biggest tip I could have used was that when you make a change to your setup/core code, you have to "restart" the app by uploading a file named "restart.txt" to your tmp folder.

... wish I had known that, as I think it would have saved me much grief.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo