1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Ruby: Aborted process

Some of my ruby processes quit saying they were aborted. I just put in place Signal.trap("ABRT") {... } code but what I want to know is what is generating the ABRT signal. Is there a way to find out or trace it, even if it is the OS I need to know.

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Use a debugger to examine the core dump. This will show you what is happening.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

A core dump (if it is even created) will not be very helpful in determining who sent the signal. Unless it is from within your process, I would just assume that it is the OS since that is how the signal is going to be delivered anyway.
    True happiness is not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've already got.

My Blog
  7. No Profile Picture

If I cant figure out what is causing the process to abort and the issue happens randomly what is the your recommendation for determining what is causing the issue? I'm not very familier with using a dubugger considering that this happens after a considerable amount of time (2-3 hours or more, and random).

I've added Signal.trap(SIGSEGV), SIGABRT, and SIGBUS, but even though the issue happens, it doesn't look like anything in these trap blocks executes

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Are you getting a core dump or not?
  11. No Profile Picture

I'm not seeing anything printed on the shell other then the prcess id and an aborted message. In my Signal.trap handler I do print out caller.join("\n") to my log file (which is where my my code prints to) but have yet to see anything printed out by "caller". My log class does use a buffer so maybe that buffer is not being flushed before the exit, something that I am going to change. How else can I generate a core dump? This issue takes hours to pop up.
  13. No Profile Picture

Any advice? How can I let the code run with the debugger enabled so I when the issue occurs maybe see something and have some ablity to do something via the debugger?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo