1. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Ruby - IDE Recommendations?

Hi all,

Looking for recommendations for a Ruby IDE. Is there an Eclipse plug-in that I should be looking at? A dedicated IDE, similar to what Zend put together for PHP? Or, something else entirely?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

It depends really, I prefer to code in a simple text editor so i can't give much input, I know activestate makes one. There is also Mondrian (mondrian-ide.com) and there is also a Ruby IDE for the eclipse platform (rubyeclipse.sourceforge.net) if that's what you prefer.. Depends what OS you're using too..

Hope you find something that suits you
  5. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I was hoping to use Ubuntu, but I can't get the VMWare session that I created to connect to the internet. Tried everything. Seems to be a reoccurring problem w/ EMC's VMWare, which ... well, stinks. Anyhow.

So, I'll be using WinXP to code... I'll scope out the Eclipse plug-in, thanks.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by drgroove
    I was hoping to use Ubuntu, but I can't get the VMWare session that I created to connect to the internet. Tried everything. Seems to be a reoccurring problem w/ EMC's VMWare, which ... well, stinks. Anyhow.

So, I'll be using WinXP to code... I'll scope out the Eclipse plug-in, thanks.
    Hey check out RadRails which is a plugin + alot more from a company called Aptana:

http://www.aptana.org/

Couple of cool things I like:
    1. Syntax highlighting and completion (duh you say)
    2. When you create a new project, it autogenerates the folder structure
    3. You can start and stop the server within eclipse
    4. When you create a new project in the same workspace it is smart enough to know to increment the port number so you can have more than one project running
    5. And it's free!

Anyway I'm sure there are a lot more kewl features, but I'm just starting out, and that's what I've come to appreciate so far.
  9. No Profile Picture

Netbeans 6.0 have a pretty good Ruby support.

Here you have a few guides of some of the functionalities that Netbeans has.
  11. No Profile Picture

Personally I find TextMate to be my OS X, text editor of choice.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Dev
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

On Windows I typically use UltraEdit, on Linux - Gedit or jEdit.

I've tried RadRails (now part of Aptana), but I found it a bit slow. Not to mention, a lot of what's integrated is just the Rails/Rake command line tasks, which are much faster and more efficient to just do from the command line.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo