Thread: Ruby Or Python

1. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Most usually closures can be used similarly to instances. What I actually mean by closures are first-class closures. As I think I touched on closures take the opposit aproach to objects and bind the environment to an action and they don't bind loosly, you can set them up (and I've done this in Scheme) so that changes to the global environment are distant .e. you can change or shadow a function all you like and it won't break your code because it's fully encapsualted.

You can build up an environment and return customized closures for any task from a factory function (Y combinator I believe is the term in maths).

Closures have also been used as the basis for implementing object systems in Lisp for a long time. OO was originally a library before it was included in Common Lisp and it's still a library in Scheme (for now).

You could create a closure over a list or other variables and have it act as a [safe] DB table in fact this is one area where I think closures are quite common.

These are only the more basic uses of closures, there are a lot of more advanced things that I haven't touched and can't talk about yet .

It should be clear that they're very powerful, and having seemless support for them in a language I'm using to me is very desirable. Here's Daves times example reimplemented in Ruby along with a counter.

Code:
    def times(n)
      lambda { |x| x * n }
    end

a = times(3)
    puts a.call(2)

def make_counter(n)
      lambda do |x|
        n = n + x
      end
    end

a = make_counter 1
    b = make_counter 0
    b.call 1
    b.call 1
    b.call 2
    puts "a: #{a.call 0}; b: #{b.call 0}"
    Take care X,

Mark.

Comments on this post

• LinuxPenguin agrees : Some nice ideas. I think the refusal to include anything OOP into the core scheme language is one of the things that holds it back, after all, most programmers will import the oo modules as standard...
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Hula

3. fork while true;
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

I'd just like to take the opportunity to point out that if you don't explicitly return anything, the last statement in a function is returned, thus mark's

Code:
    def times(n)
      lambda { |x| x * n }
    end
    becomes

Code:
    def times(n)
      return lambda { |x| x * n }
    end
    I'm just pointing this out for people who are used to crappy languages like vb which call themselves, but are not, dynamic. This is, in fact the default lisp approach, and possibly why lisp encourages so much recursion

One of the more interesting dynamic things you can do with ruby is writing arbitrary expressions as a string and use the eval() function to call them. It inherited this from perl, where i first found a good use for it.

Here's the line of perl i had to use eval for
    perl Code:
    eval '$sth->execute(' . "'" . (join "', '", @_) . "';

Yes, that looks more undesirable than having your eye stabbed out with a cleaver, but it works, and with good commenting, and occasional line like that can pass. The ruby eval function works the same way, but think of it like this

you can receive arbitrary code from the user and directly execute it within a specific context.

Sounds like closures could be rather useful here, non?
  5. Hello World :)

Originally Posted by LinuxPenguin
    I'd just like to take the opportunity to point out that if you don't explicitly return anything, the last statement in a function is returned, thus mark's

Code:
    def times(n)
      lambda { |x| x * n }
    end
    becomes

Code:
    def times(n)
      return lambda { |x| x * n }
    end
    I'm just pointing this out for people who are used to crappy languages like vb which call themselves, but are not, dynamic. This is, in fact the default lisp approach, and possibly why lisp encourages so much recursion

One of the more interesting dynamic things you can do with ruby is writing arbitrary expressions as a string and use the eval() function to call them. It inherited this from perl, where i first found a good use for it.

Here's the line of perl i had to use eval for
    perl Code:
    eval '$sth->execute(' . "'" . (join "', '", @_) . "';

Yes, that looks more undesirable than having your eye stabbed out with a cleaver, but it works, and with good commenting, and occasional line like that can pass. The ruby eval function works the same way, but think of it like this

you can receive arbitrary code from the user and directly execute it within a specific context.

Sounds like closures could be rather useful here, non?
    The function 'eval came from lisp so any language that includes eval did in fact derived it from John McCarthy's original lisp spec .

This includes both Ruby and Python so there's no clear winner here..

The difference between 'eval in lisp and other languages is that you can easily define your own in lisp. As you can imagine this gives you an unparalleled amount of control and is almost a right of passage in scheme .

Writing 'eval in other languages isn't nearly as easy or elegant. This is why something commonly done in lisp is never touched by users of other languages .

To show 'eval the Lisp way here is a little code. 'cons just shoves 'and onto the list of numbers and 'eval evaluates it.

Code:
    > (eval (cons 'and '(1 2 3 4 5))) ; evaluate (and 1 2 3 4 5) => 5
    >
    One important thing that needs to be stressed when using eval for any reason is that you are potentially opening up pandoras box, all you have to do is slip and evaluate some user input and you'll suffer. It's very powerful but should only be used when you can prove its safety .

Code:
    > (define unsafe-and
        (lambda (lst) (eval (cons 'and lst))))

> (unsafe-and (read)) ; read asks for user input
    < (list (end-universe))
    Deleting /
    You look up and your computer is dead . Obviously you need to be VERY careful when giving users control over such things.

One thing Ruby has over Python here is a notion of safety. Code in Ruby can be executed with different privilege levels, though I haven't read too much about it that certainly sounds like a good idea.

This is something I'm assuming that your using LP? Otherwise doing what your doing isn't the way to go, unless you're programs are to double as all you can eat buffet .

This kind of thing would normally be done with total safety using macros this is especially true of scheme and it's hygienic macros. Another advantage is that it happens at macro-expansion time (before compile time) so it's very efficient.

OO may well be added to the next scheme standard but that seems to get said before each revision.

I don't think OO is a necessary part of any language. Scheme has a very flexible object system that can be called on when you need it, or extended to suite your task. Why would you want to confine yourself to one way of doing something, in particular why would you confine yourself to the inherent bloat that OO imparts?

As an observation most things can be accomplished much more elegantly, with less code and be just as abstract and modular without OO in the right language .

Night all,

Mark.

7. (retired)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I'm enjoying this discussion folks, & I'm glad to see it hasn't turned into a "my language is cooler than yours" argument, which, lets face it, are entirely pointless ( use the right tool for the job, right? ).

Just a few comments:

One important thing that needs to be stressed when using eval for any reason is that you are potentially opening up pandoras box, all you have to do is slip and evaluate some user input and you'll suffer. It's very powerful but should only be used when you can prove its safety
    I keep pointing out in the PHP forums that "eval" is just one letter away from "evil", and I've only seen its use justified in a very few cases.

in particular why would you confine yourself to the inherent bloat that OO imparts?
    I agree here - functional programming is quite under-rated. There are many instances where OOP is just not worth it.

Originally Posted by LP
    Ruby has always been poorly documented, but it's usually not a problem since i happen to have bought a copy of the pickaxe. The problem, is that the pickaxe doesn't cover thrid party modules (and i don't expect it to).
    Documentation is almost always the weak point - I think one of the major reasons that PHP is so successful is that the documentation is fantastic, and other languages really need to look in to doing something similar.

--Simon
  9. Hello World :)

Originally Posted by SimonGreenhill
    I'm enjoying this discussion folks, & I'm glad to see it hasn't turned into a "my language is cooler than yours" argument, which, lets face it, are entirely pointless ( use the right tool for the job, right? ).

Just a few comments:

I keep pointing out in the PHP forums that "eval" is just one letter away from "evil", and I've only seen its use justified in a very few cases.

I agree here - functional programming is quite under-rated. There are many instances where OOP is just not worth it.

Documentation is almost always the weak point - I think one of the major reasons that PHP is so successful is that the documentation is fantastic, and other languages really need to look in to doing something similar.

--Simon
    Likewise Simon, too many of this type of thread end up as shouting match's that never get resolved. How could they, it's like religion or philosophy and it comes down to choice. It seems that people really don't like to accept that maybe what they know doesn't place them at the end of some imaginary learning curve which is probably more like a circle or cubic anyway .

I suppose the thing with 'eval is that (besides the fact that when you try and say it to rhyme with evil it sounds kinda funny) you don't need a lot of people to trip this way to prove this point. It should be pretty obvious anyway but sometimes you need to point people in the right direction, I'm very happy there are people around to point my mistakes out. I nearly made this one once .

When one or two trip with 'eval here they do enough damage to make everyone pay attention, there's something inherently bad about giving users an all access pass to your system.

One of the reasons PHP introduced the $_BLA stuff was because of a nice big security hole, and that's far less obvious .

I have to agree with the documentation and I think this is one of the things that emacs got done right. I'm only a new user but it's self documenting nature is fairly amazing. Without that I'm confident that it would never have been so successful, how do you use or extend an editor you don't know anything about?

Documentation is important, but having a helpful thriving community helps a lot too. Positive feedback anyone. Even with the PHP docs people don't always understand first time.

Both Ruby and Python have a very happy bunch of users (for the most part). That has to be one of the reason these languages are so fun . When you get stuck you all just get around and laugh it out in a friendly manner.

Take care Simon ,

Mark.

11. Hello World :)

I ran out of time this morning but while on the subject of documentation I thought I'd add that Ruby doesn't have docstrings or it doesn't have them yet .

That puts Python a notch ahead for documentation just there. For those of you not sure what docstrings are they're just documentation embedded at the front of certain forms that you can access interactively.

This is handy when you want to find out how to use a function for instance. With docstrings you can just load the module and read the comments, descriptions and examples etc. that the author may have left for you .

Code:
    >>> def double(x):
    ...     """This function doubles a given number and returns it eg.
    ...         double(5) => 10"""
    ...     return x + x
    >>>
    >>> help(double)

Help on function double in module __main__:

double(x)
        This function doubles a given number and returns it eg.
        double(5) => 10
    (END)

>>> print double.__doc__
    This function doubles a given number and returns it eg.
                double(5) => 10
    >>>
    This is also useful for automatically generating documentation for your code. Something I plan on doing in Scheme over the holidays .

It would be easy enough to put ad-hoc docstrings in any language, all you have to do is parse the language text and collate any comments you find simple but effective.

Ad-hoc things are never very pretty though so a nice implementation is very valuable!

Functional programming isn't very popular, not many people get it and many more don't want to get it because they wont get jobs using it. Regardless of that it's a very powerful and well thought out paradigm that will teach you a lot .

If anyone here thinks it's impossible that you could write a program without ever changing a variable then I urge you to check this out . It's not the kind of thing you'd want to do in most popular languages but in those that encourage this style of programming (as Ruby and Python do to a degree) the results can be quite spectacular, I think.

Code:
    (define tree?
      (lambda (lst)
        (and (pair? lst) (or (pair? (car lst))
                             (tree? (cdr lst))))))

(define sum
      (lambda (numbers)
        "Adds the numbers in the numbers list and any sub-lists. If numbers is
        a tree? then call sum recursively until there are only simply lists and
        numbers left."
        (apply + (if (tree? numbers)
                   (map (lambda (n)
                          (if (pair? n) (sum n) n))
                        numbers)
                   numbers))))
    Here we go. With a little Scheme you can write a function that will sum a tree of numbers, no matter how deeply nested. All without one assignment or change to the programs state.

Using high order functions you could further generalized it to handle subtraction or any similar function. With a little re-factoring it could also work for other functions we could call it re-useful because it's both reusable and useful .

The function tree? is cute because it shows a purely logical method of testing if a list is in fact a tree. This isn't inherent to functional programming or Scheme but it provides a nice test bed to see how Python and Ruby handle logical tasks .

Code:
    # Python
    def tree(lst):
        return bool(lst) and (type(lst.pop()) == list or tree(lst))

print tree([1, 2, 3, 4])
    print tree([1, 2, [1, 2, 3], 4])

# Ruby
    def tree(lst)
      lst.length > 0 and (lst.pop.class == Array or tree lst)
    end

puts tree([1, 2, 3, 4])
    puts tree([1, 2, [1, 2, 3], 4])
    All of this is important because the quality of your programs depends on your reasoning, and the logic you can express clearly and easily in language X.

Note that this may not be fair example, as I've said I'm new to Ruby and I don't know what methods are available for what . Added to that this is a very simple function.

Also note that bool() is only necessary in the Python version to conform to the original tree? function. You can leave it out if you don't mind getting an empty list .

Enjoy,

Mark.

13. fork while true;

eval in the wrong hands can quickly go wrong, yes, but in experienced hands, with a large sprinkling of care, it makes the pastry easier to work, but only when it's the only way (as above) (and as you can see, that isn't going to put me at risk)

doc strings are my favourite thing about python for sure, rdoc isn't even close (and python has an equivalent anyway)

PHP's documentation is a great catalyst behind it, and python isn't close behind, just python takes a little more getting used to than php and not as many people program in it (a pity imo, since php is practically useless outside the web - and yes, i know it does other things, but it's only really suited to the web)

lisp is always going to be the master of flexibility
  15. Hello World :)

My point was actually that unless you can be prove beyond doubt that 'eval can't be compromised you shouldn't use it. Unfortunately it's very hard to be 100% sure, this is especially true for programs written in imperative languages.

Experienced or not it's probably a bad idea .

If you want to use it go for it, it's certainly very powerful I can't disagree there but I'm just not sure it's worth the risk. I guess it depends on the task .

In general I think if it is to be used it should be used safely behind the scenes, where no user can ever touch it, ever . Alternatively if the language allows it a safe version of 'eval should be used.

I'm sure you know best . What worried me was:

Originally Posted by LinuxPenguin
    I think it would be interesting to see just how much information you could extract form a piece of code i.e. could you reason about the efficiency of a algorithm .

This is the kind of information would be a very useful to include in an documentation because it you could use it to pick the most efficient function/class/whatever for your task. If this is automatic and standard then any code written in language X could be documented easily.

There are some very interesting possibilities there I think .

Have a good day LP,

Mark.
    Last edited by netytan; March 23rd, 2006 at 04:00 PM.

17. (retired)

Originally Posted by Mark
    My point was actually that unless you can be prove beyond doubt that 'eval can't be compromised you shouldn't use it. Unfortunately it's very hard to be 100% sure, this is especially true for programs written in imperative languages.

Experienced or not it's probably a bad idea .
    Originally Posted by LP
    eval in the wrong hands can quickly go wrong, yes, but in experienced hands, with a large sprinkling of care, it makes the pastry easier to work, but only when it's the only way (as above) (and as you can see, that isn't going to put me at risk)
    That is the problem - even very competant developers still get this wrong. One of the major PHP-related vulnerabilities last year was in the PEAR XML_RPC library and was caused by eval. The guy who wrote the library was a very capable and well known PHP developer ( Stig Bakken? ), there was lots of filtering going on, and yet it was still possible to sneak stuff in. This affected many big php packages - Mambo, Drupal, Xoops, phpNuke, etc. The outcome was to avoid eval "at all costs".

I like this quote from Rasmus Lerdorf - PHP's creator: "If the answer is eval, then you're almost certainly asking the wrong question".

One of the reasons PHP introduced the $_BLA stuff was because of a nice big security hole, and that's far less obvious .
    Definitely. That whole mess and the fact that php has functions like mysql_escape_string and mysql_real_escape_string and mysqli_real_escape_string is mainly due to the lack of namespaces.

--Simon
  19. Hello World :)

That is the problem - even very competant developers still get this wrong. One of the major PHP-related vulnerabilities last year was in the PEAR XML_RPC library and was caused by eval. The guy who wrote the library was a very capable and well known PHP developer ( Stig Bakken? ), there was lots of filtering going on, and yet it was still possible to sneak stuff in. This affected many big php packages - Mambo, Drupal, Xoops, phpNuke, etc. The outcome was to avoid eval "at all costs".

I like this quote from Rasmus Lerdorf - PHP's creator: "If the answer is eval, then you're almost certainly asking the wrong question".

Definitely. That whole mess and the fact that php has functions like mysql_escape_string and mysql_real_escape_string and mysqli_real_escape_string is mainly due to the lack of namespaces.

--Simon
    I haven't used PHP in years but I thought that it was now fully OO? If so then namespaces would seem to come along with that hand in hand... apparently not . Maybe this is another reason that Rails is taking off so dramatically, fixing a lot of deficiencies in PHP.

I know that it was one of the driving factors behind rails: it's creator David Heinemeier Hansson was a PHP user before he developed Rails.

I think the fact that it leverages a purely OO language (a very nice one) and the MVC paradigm so well is very attractive. To put this in perspective compare this approach to PHP's clutter and very poor support for MVC from my experience.

PHP still has a lot going for it but I never really got on with the language once I lost my fascination with web design. It just seemed too much of a toy now: not enough CS influence.

Regardless of my opinion people can still do amazing things with it . It's just another language that I'd use if I had to but otherwise wouldn't touch. I'm picky.

Later Simon,

Mark.
    Last edited by netytan; March 23rd, 2006 at 06:38 PM.

21. (retired)

I haven't used PHP in years but I thought that it was now fully OO? If so then namespaces would seem to come along with that hand in hand... apparently not . Maybe this is another reason that Rails is taking off so dramatically, fixing a lot of deficiencies in PHP.
    Yes, they're slowly changing over, and there's still crud in the global namespace, but PHP 6 ( the next big release, currently in alpha, haven't seen a roadmap, but I'm guessing this will be out mid-year? ) is going to break a lot of things and clean this up.

IMO this reflects the difference in how php arose - it was designed to build webpages and things got tacked on when someone wanted it ( the same bottom-up approach of adding functionality when needed happened for perl ). Whereas something like Python ( & I guess Ruby ) was designed from the top down, which I guess makes things more internally consistent.

very poor support for MVC
    You can easily do MVC in php, it's just not "built into" the thing like it is in RoR. There are plenty of good MVC frameworks ( both RoR-esque and java-esque ) out there, and many good developers use them ( or write their own ). Zend is trying to get back some of the converts to RoR with the Zend Application Framework which is looking interesting ( and does some very cool stuff like plug in Apache's Nutch/Lucene search engine functionality ), but this is some way off and it may be a little late.

PHP still has a lot going for it but I never really got on with the language once I lost my fascination with web design. It just seemed too much of a toy now: not enough CS influence.
    Sure - it does one thing very well - web apps. You'd be crazy to use it for anything else.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not a PHP fan boy, but it's been attacked on a lot of fronts recently, and not all of that is deserved ( for example - it can still blow ruby and python web apps right out of the water performance-wise ). FWIW, I don't see the current situation in web development as Ruby vs. PHP vs. Python, but dynamic languages ( Ruby, PHP, Python, Perl ) vs. Static ( Asp.NET, Java ).

--Simon
  23. fork while true;

I agree, eval() is usually not the thing to do, but in this case it is necessary

Perl DBI is the key thing here.

you pass in a number of arguments to the dbi like so.

argument one : "SELECT * FROM table WHERE field=?"

argument 2 : "fieldname"

My function does not aceept input from the user, it is staticly coded in. i can quite happily pass something like this, thanks to that eval() line

$db->query("SELECT ? FROM ? WHERE ?='?'", $what, $table, $field, $criteria);

The danger is purely one that i myself would make a cockup in passing it bad sql, and frankly without MVC, that's a reality for any program.

The reasons you two have given are exactly why i've been moving away from php for the past few weeks, into perl for this system, ruby and python for other things. If the ruby docs were up to php scratch, i'm sure things would be a lot more fun, because i don't read japanese.

Re: MVC on PHP, well there is cake, but trying to use that is really quite ugly...

As for using it for anything but web apps, i think that's insane, it's just not suited for offline development, they took it in a direction away from perl, by adding better support for online stuff, and reducing support for offline stuff. What exactly motivated some idiot to write a php-gtk book i have no idea but i think he's got a screw loose...
  25. Hello World :)

You can easily do MVC in php, it's just not "built into" the thing like it is in RoR. There are plenty of good MVC frameworks ( both RoR-esque and java-esque ) out there, and many good developers use them ( or write their own )...

Sure - it does one thing very well - web apps. You'd be crazy to use it for anything else.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not a PHP fan boy, but it's been attacked on a lot of fronts recently, and not all of that is deserved ( for example - it can still blow ruby and python web apps right out of the water performance-wise ). FWIW, I don't see the current situation in web development as Ruby vs. PHP vs. Python, but dynamic languages ( Ruby, PHP, Python, Perl ) vs. Static ( Asp.NET, Java ).

--Simon
    I guess that's the difference, you can for instance use PHP off the web but it seems rather tacked on. I get the impression that this is also true for things like MVC. Though it's probably just because the core language itself wasn't deigned this way. It might actually explain it's popularity, if people can pick all the concepts up on there own in there free time.

Then again should it really be the languages job to force design patterns anyway?

I'm not trying to attack PHP, I don't have anything against it it just doesn't interest me anymore so I don't read much about it lately. Hence I'm pretty uninformed . Rails likewise doesn't interest me outside of the fact it's written in Ruby and I'm playing with this language.

I'm not a webdev and you may be correct about speed I couldn't tell you. It sounds right .

The only thing I'm really qualified to judge PHP on is it's syntax and semantics because things have changed a lot since I used it heavily. Throwing everything into one namespace is a pretty poor idea but it has it's advantages: everything there, right there out of the box when you need it which means you can get going a little more quickly.

On the downside it can leave dangerous things laying around the namespace and it comes off as cluttered this isn't just a PHP thing, Common Lisp had a similar approach 30+ years ago. It has good support for modular programming but over time different Lisps gathered more and more into there language spec.

This is actually acceptable for Common Lisp to copy because Common Lisp is really an amalgamation of features and ideas from Lisps gone by and this is the approach they took.

Scheme's standing point on the other hand which I prefer and seems to be what PHP is favoring from what you said above is to only put the minimal useful constructs in the core. Everything else can be written using them so into a library you go .

I have to say if PHP goes down a similar line I may have to check it out again; just for fun, I have no intention of writing more webpages . But, maybe theres more to learn there. It's been a few years and there have been a lot of revisions so maybe theres some interesting things .

Have a lecture to get to anyway, later guys!

Mark.

27. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Back to comparing Python and Ruby:
    Code:
    # in Python there are no surprises

list1 = ['fee', 'fi', 'fo', 'fum']

print list1  # ['fee', 'fi', 'fo', 'fum']
    print

for i in list1:
        print i

"""
    fee
    fi
    fo
    fum
    """
    Code:
    # Ruby's puts is similar to Python's print?
    # Think again!

array1 = ['fee', 'fi', 'fo', 'fum']

puts array1
    puts

# this gives the same result as "puts array1"
    for i in array1 do
      puts i
    end

"""
    fee
    fi
    fo
    fum
    """
    Real Programmers always confuse Christmas and Halloween because Oct31 == Dec25
  29. Hello World :)

Is this really a fair comparison D, what your doing is applying Python knowledge to another language and acting surprised when it doesn't do what you think .

Take a look at it from the other direction (from a Ruby users PoV) and you can reverse your comments. There are no surprises because you know what Python will output. If you knew what Ruby would do as-well then neither would seem alien.

Why should Ruby or any language conform to another languages way of doing things?

Perl doesn't do things the same was as Python . Scheme doesn't do things the same way as Python . Neither will do really "unexpected" things when you know the language.

Actually Python only prints as it does because that's what it says to print in __repr__, similarly Ruby prints the way it does because thats what it says to do in to_s.

If you think about it, when do you ever Want to print out something in the form "['fee', 'fi', 'fo', 'fum']".

Code:
    # A much more Rubyesk way to loop:

> array1.each { |i| puts i }
    fee
    fi
    fo
    fum
    => ["fee", "fi", "fo", "fum"]
    >
    Notice that it also returns a value. This a very powerful idea but one not as easily accumplished in Python. You could implement you're own each method but in order to have the same flexibility you need to be able to "blocks" of functionality .

That's an awful lot of def foo(...): ... in Python.

Mark.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo