Results: Should DevShed add a Ruby/Rails section? 

Voters
17 You may not vote on this poll

• Yes
    52.94%
  • No
    47.06%

Thread: Ruby Section

Page 3 of 3 First 123
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

nit picking I suppose, but this prompted me to actually read the description of this group:
    A place for discussing programming languages not covered in specific forums such as Ruby on Rails, Assembler, COBOL, AJAX, etc. - you get the idea.
    As we know, RoR is not a language (this is specially offensive to old-time rubyists) , nor is AJAX... what about
    ...discussing programming languages and {tools|technologies|whatever}...

Comments on this post

• Adrastea0413 agrees : It bothers me too...
  3. Only the strong survives!!.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

I think ajax is pretty cool, but honestly.. i would not use it on all my projects.... So i heard that you have to becarefull about how you use ajax. see here
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Well, I don't know about the trendy part, but I've started delving into Ruby with Rails and it seems like it COULD be pretty fast and powerful - if you can figure out the syntax and if there were any decent documentation to be found. I have Agile Web Development with Rails, and it has been somewhat helpful. I also did a tutorial online that was very basic, but also helpful. Now that I'm getting more into the nuts and bolts is where I'm running into walls. My "Agile" book shows how to create, read, update, and delete from the database, but shows examples using HARD-CODED values, and says NOTHING about how to get your values from your form, or how to get a search param from a form, etc. This has been extremely frustrating. I have honestly thought a few times about scrapping the whole thing and going back to PHP. But, the boss wants Ruby, so this is what I'm stuck with for now.

So, maybe not a whole Ruby section - but a resources page might be helpful for those of us who are pulling our hair out.
  7. fork while true;

Hang around in irc.freenode.net#rubyonrails , you'll pick up a lot of helpful advice there
  9. (retired)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

irc? friendly? now THATs an oxymoron.

--Simon
  11. fork while true;

Originally Posted by SimonGreenhill
    irc? friendly? now THATs an oxymoron.

--Simon
    I definitely didn't say friendly, and i said hang around, not speak
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

just a thought,,,

Originally Posted by Sepodati
    Instead of "Other Programming Languages", maybe it should be "The Latest Fad Programming Language and Ones That Are No Longer Faddish But People People Keep Insist On Using Them Although They Are All The Same Really When You Think About It Except For The Syntax"...

or not...

---John Holmes...
    That's a funny quote, and too true, but they could be categorized by functional area. The breakdown we have now is a bit of this and that- sometimes it's a language and sometimes it's functional thing, just have a look at the categories under Programming Languages.

You could categorize things as general scripting languages (which would cover all of the things like Perl, Python, Ruby, and that lot) and web scripting languages (PHP, ASP and so on ), application development platforms (Java and who knows what else, maybe VB?), functional languages (choose your lang here), OO languages (but here traditional OO languages and not scripting (interpreted) languages), etc.

The current categories are a bit of a mishmash.
Page 3 of 3 First 123
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo