1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Ruby vs. Ruby on Rails

Hello,

I'm teaching myself Ruby.

Ruby on Rails is very popular. However, I'm concerned it will steer your code into one way of doing things. It's obviously great at making Twitter-style sites.

But what if you want to do something like this:

rubular dot com

That's what I would call a "tool" website. It is written in Ruby, and edits Ruby regular expressions. It' not at all a social media site.

I'm concerned that Rails will steer you down a social media path, but if you want to do something more like scientific computing, you might get lost in the Rails way of doing things.

I've modified the core PHP Wordpress files to bend them to create a site to my specifications. But it was such a hassle sifting through endless labyrinthine include files, that it was simply easier to write my own MVC sites from scratch!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Ruby is a decent programming language. Ruby on Rails is a complete cluster !*&#. What your website eventually does has nothing to do with ROR. ROR is a framework that provides the necessary things that most websites need to do like maintain security, connect with a database, etc.--but at the cost of great complexity that only three people on the planet fully understand. You do not have to employ a complex framework, like ROR, to create a website. Ruby provides basic CGI capability for web programming, or you can use a light weight framework like Sinatra or hundreds of others.

That's what I would call a "tool" website. It is written in Ruby, and edits Ruby regular expressions. It' not at all a social media site.
    Either type of webite can be created with any web programming method you choose. There are certain things that most websites need to do, and instead of every programmer reinventing the wheel every time they create a website, frameworks started popping up to save web programmers all the work of writing bullet proof code to do common tasks. But then the frameworks started getting so complicated they didn't save you time because they were so hard to learn, and as it turned out the code wasn't always bullet proof.

The argument for complex frameworks is that once you figure out how to use them, then the basic boiler plate code for the next 100 websites you create can be done fairly quickly.
    Last edited by 7stud; March 14th, 2014 at 03:54 PM.
  5. Web Developer/Musician
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Rails doesn't impose conventions on business logic. Just the things it does for the infrastructure of the site itself like routing and presentation (and database if you use Active Record). If you are looking for calculation heavy application logic you may be supplementing Ruby with C++ or offloading some of the calculation intensive operations to socket or web services.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ruby is a scripting language, as are Python and Perl.

Ruby on Rails is a Web app framework that is built on the scripting
    language Ruby.

Ruby on Rails makes it easy to use the language Ruby to write stuff that
    makes a dynamic database driven website work (like a wiki, or a social
    networking site).
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I want to add:
    Ruby on Rails is a web framework that has been written in the Ruby programming language. If you don't take the time to learn the Ruby syntax, you will struggle with Rails. Not saying you must become an expert in all things Ruby, but you should at a minimum get comfortable with the basic object classes (arrays, strings, hashes, etc) and their corresponding methods. If you are just getting started, I would urge you to check out Chris Pine's site - http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/1.7K which covers the basics of the Ruby programming language, then you can start reading through the Rails Guides 302 Found to learn more about the framework.
  11. No Profile Picture

To be specific, Ruby is a programming language, whereas Rails is a web application framework designed to work with Ruby. Ruby is simple to learn and is super fun. It is easier than other programming languages. But the only problem with Ruby was that it was not designed for use on the web until Rails came. Rails are the most popular framework for Ruby basically make it possible to write a Ruby application and have it be a website.
    Learn more

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo