1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Suddenly, nothing ruby works

Hello,

I had successfully installed ruby and built some applications which were working beautifully and suddenly when I went back to start up some of the applications, I went to the pages and recieved the error of "application failed (ruby).

I then restarted my computer and tried to start Webrick server and now I get "recognized as an internal or external command" on all ruby or rails command line calls

IE: C:\>rails "C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\ruby_app
    _3"
    yeilds this:
    'rails' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

C:\>ruby "C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\myfirstap
    p\script\server"

Yeilds this:
    'ruby' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

I then went and reinstalled ruby and the same thing happens.

HEEEEEEEELLLLLLP!!!!!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Make sure the ruby binaries are in the environment PATH variable. It probably got modified somehow, which is why you can't call it directly from the CLI.
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Yup - that's what it was - Somehow - my path variable got waxed.

Really strange - maybe it was a software update clash -dunno.

It's fixed now after I manually appended the ruby c:/ruby/bin to the Path variable.

Thanks again!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo