1. Recovering Intellectual
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Rails is NOT a lightning fast web development tool

RoR makes you more productive?

I must disagree. Granted my environment may not have been the best, but I can follow directions and this is just absurd.

Ive got the following installed on this machine:

Fedora Core 6
    Ruby Version 1.8.4
    Gems Version 0.9.0
    Rails Version 1.2.3

Everything said it installed fine. I start a new project (in fact i follow the exact directions laid out in the book "agile web development with rails" by the pragmatic programmers series, same guys who did the pick book.

Code:
    rails demo
    blamo i get all the files, looking good. I create a controller:

Code:
    cd demo; ruby scripts/generate controller Say
    No problems there either. I go into the file and add a hello method. I then create a template that has some html in it like so:

Code:
    vi app/views/say/hello.rhtml
    no problems there either. I start up the webserver called WEBrick, go to my ip at port 3000 and I get the welcome to RoR page (yea and apparently im on rails )

I then go to where I should see my page served:

Code:
    http://myipaddress:3000/say/hello
    and this is what i get from the WEBrick log:

#<ArgumentError: Anonymous modules have no name to be referenced by>
    ["/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:404:in `to_constant_name'", "/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:214:in `qualified_name_for'", "/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:476:in `const_missing'", "/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/dispatcher.rb:117:in `reset_after_dispatch'", "/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/dispatcher.rb:51:in `dispatch'", "/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/webrick_server.rb:113:in `handle_dispatch'", "/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/webrick_server.rb:79:in `service'", "/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/httpserver.rb:104:in `service'", "/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/httpserver.rb:65:in `run'", "/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:173:in `start_thread'", "/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:162:in `start_thread'", "/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:95:in `start'", "/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:92:in `start'", "/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:23:in `start'", "/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:82:in `start'", "/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/webrick_server.rb:63:in `dispatch'", "/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/commands/servers/webrick.rb:59", "/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require'", "/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:495:in `require'", "/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:342:in `new_constants_in'", "/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:495:in `require'", "/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/commands/server.rb:39", "/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require'", "script/server:3"]
    [2007-05-09 15:30:42] ERROR `/say/hello' not found.
    192.168.32.175 - - [09/May/2007:15:30:42 PDT] "GET /say/hello HTTP/1.1" 404 284
    - -> /say/hello
    I was under the impression this was supposed to help me be more productive. With all the hubabaloo about rails, id expect a little more out of it than this. Ive already wasted 2 hours getting to this point .. the 'gems' interface is a piece of ... also.
    Bugs that go away by themselves come back by themselves
    Beware - your loyalty will not be rewarded
  3. Recovering Intellectual
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Nevermind.

I did a yum install on rubygems and ruby got the most current versions of both, rinsed and repeated.

everything works flawlessly, must have been something in my environment.

God, im such an asshole

Comments on this post

• Joseph Taylor agrees : You *did* come across a little antagonistically
    Bugs that go away by themselves come back by themselves
    Beware - your loyalty will not be rewarded
  5. c0der
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Those two wasted hours are what I call a "learning curve". Productivity boosts aren't measured by how quickly you get a "hello world" page running. If so, notepad would be king.

(EDIT: I'm graying this out, because I clearly didn't read your post thoroughly enough)

My guess is you forgot to add this to the "Say" controller:

Code:
    def hello; end
    ...By the way, I doubt there's anyone here who cares if you continue to use Rails. If it's not working for you, ditch it.
    Last edited by Joseph Taylor; May 9th, 2007 at 07:07 PM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Actually, I think Rails is pretty damn nice. In two weeks I went from not knowing any rails at all to this .

Granted, its still very simple, I'm very proud of myself because all the kids I work with at school said I'd never get it done in the allotted time, but I did and I laughed at them.
    I have summoned you here for a purpose
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by amoo3
    Actually, I think Rails is pretty damn nice. In two weeks I went from not knowing any rails at all to this .

Granted, its still very simple, I'm very proud of myself because all the kids I work with at school said I'd never get it done in the allotted time, but I did and I laughed at them.
    I've checked you beta site, I like it. Considering you're new to RoR as I am, which book or tutorial was your primary source. I've just finished with "Ruby on Rails for Dummies" which answered a lot of the basics, now I'm after something with a bit more detail.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I started with Agile Dev. version 2, as many of my features are similar to those in the Depot program, but Google and various Rails forums helped alot too. I only got to about page 100-150 of Agile Dev. when I started, and I still have to finish the book.

http://www.railsforum.com/
    is an awesome Rails forum. I've started about 10 topics in the last two weeks :P
    I have summoned you here for a purpose

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo