1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

My introduction.

Howdy folks!

I'm the PlagueJester. Name's Kyle.

I'm completely new to Ruby. A guy I'm living with, and his father, are going to school and currently learning Ruby. I walked in and saw that he was messing around with something that I could only assume was programming, so I decided that I'd like to give it a shot. Since then, I've been reading through his college book, "Ruby Programming for the Absolute Beginner."

I haven't gotten very far, and I haven't made anything original yet, but I thought that I'd like to go ahead and find myself a forum, as I'm not in school, and when I have a question, I won't have anyone to ask with any real knowledge on the subject.

I guess I only have one question to ask as of now.
    Is this a forum where beginners are welcome (I've been to forums for other things where beginners were /not/ welcome) or is this a forum for veterans of the program who don't want to "hold the hand" of the little new guys?

If beginners are welcome, and stupid questions don't bother ya'll too much, I look forward to being a member of this site, and eventually contributing something useful for others.

Kyle
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Beginners certainly welcome, and congrats on your new endeavor.

A word of advice: while newcomers are not a problem leeches tend to be. We dont mind helping those who help themselves but expecting a handout is generally not going to get you too far

That aside, welcome to Dev Shed!
    True happiness is not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've already got.

My Blog
  5. No Profile Picture

I'm glad to hear that beginners are welcome. And thanks for your personal welcome!

I assure you that I have no intention on leeching to get things done. I actually want to be able to make my own text based games (like MUDs if you've ever played them), and if I have everyone else do my work, I won't know how to go fix/change things or make new ones. And anything else I might decide to do later on.

I might end up asking questions that are probably pretty obvious (sometimes I get so frustrated and look for the easy help), but I'll try to keep from doing that too much too, lol.

I'll try to get some more studying in today. So far, I've learned about making classes, class properties, interacting with new objects, methods, how to make child classes, class conversion (which from what little bit the book has said, is completely useless), storing data (like x = 10 for example), naming variables (the rules on capitalization, numbers, letters, underscores and that sort of stuff), storing permanent data.

The book hasn't gone into any real detail yet, and hasn't really explained the uses for any of them (as I have said, class conversion has no apparent use as it's been explained so far).

Well, back to studying.

Kyle
  7. No Profile Picture

everybody starts from the bottom to top

yes, you are welcome to the forum. everybody starts from the bottom so there is no need to embarrassed. carry on your ruby on rails journey .

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo