1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How do I into Ruby-on-Rails ? (no command line or server management experience)

ok... uhm
    How do I start Ruby on Rails?
    I downloaded this ... "rubyinstaller-1.8.7-p357.exe" and ran it.
    Now there is nothing? (it didn't make a program or an icon on my desktop. I don't know what it did)
    I also got this thing...

yeah... I have no idea what I'm doing.

I saw a couple videos.
    something about a command line & bash script or something?

yeah. I have NO IDEA what I'm doing.

here is what I know.
    I know how to write PHP, I know how to write HTML, I know how to write CSS, I know how to write JavaScript.
    When I put these things together I simply upload them to a 1and1 server. That is it. I do nothing else but make files and upload them with an FTP client.

That command line stuff is ALIEN!!! !!!
    I've never run anything like Xampp on my own computer. 1and1 has done all that stuff for me.

Ok... with all that being said. What do I need to do to get a rails project to setup and ran?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Rails on Windows is kind of difficult. There is some documentation on the Rails Website: http :// rubyonrails . org / documentation

but you would probably be better off setting up a virtualbox with fedora or ubuntu and install it on there.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

first I panicked... then I was like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQrqpXFDrhU

So I think I'm fine now.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by totalknowledge
    Rails on Windows is kind of difficult. There is some documentation on the Rails Website: http :// rubyonrails . org / documentation

but you would probably be better off setting up a virtualbox with fedora or ubuntu and install it on there.
    Hi, I just installed Ubuntu wiping the Windows side from my computer. I'm completely new to Ubuntu and to Ruby On Rails.

Everything I've tried so far has just been error after error. I haven't even been able to try programming yet because I can't get things to install.

Is there a very detailed AND UP TO DATE guide for doing this?
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by EndersDrift
    Hi, I just installed Ubuntu wiping the Windows side from my computer. I'm completely new to Ubuntu and to Ruby On Rails.

Everything I've tried so far has just been error after error. I haven't even been able to try programming yet because I can't get things to install.

Is there a very detailed AND UP TO DATE guide for doing this?
    This got me going. The video is a bit terse. And I still don't get his "GVIM ." for his editor.
  11. No Profile Picture

y ruby y frnd

very best thanks

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo