1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Calendar Question (Noob)

Hey everyone, hope I get to meet many talented people on here. I have a question, I want to pick up programming specifically to program/design an online calendar for my school.

A Calendar similar to google calendars, except to add a small blog system, and to have users so we can all see each other's calendars, and even send each other messages through the same system. If any of you hypothetically were to make one like that. What would be the best code to use? I say Ruby-HTML-CSS-JQUERY?
  3. No Profile Picture

Nobody?
  5. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

you can do that with any language that's suitable for web development. So, yeah, Ruby is fine. But you'll also need a database. Many people use MySQL, but I'd suggest PostgreSQL, which is more mature, advanced and strict.

You should also consider using a Ruby framework (a lightweight one like Ramaze or Sinatra) instead of pure Ruby. This will of course take some time to learn, but it'll speed up development later.

So the final list would be something like this:
    • Ruby (+ framework?)
    • database system (PostgreSQL/MySQL)
    • HTML, CSS
    • jQuery
  7. No Profile Picture

You're in luck. Just completed a similar project with a booking system. I used PHP/MySQL, Tiny bits of JS and obviously HTML and CSS.

The programming language is fairly irrelevant. If you are planning on just picking it up and attacking this project, you may find that it is considerably harder than you think
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks

Originally Posted by DaftShifty
    You're in luck. Just completed a similar project with a booking system. I used PHP/MySQL, Tiny bits of JS and obviously HTML and CSS.

The programming language is fairly irrelevant. If you are planning on just picking it up and attacking this project, you may find that it is considerably harder than you think
    Thanks, Yeah I understand that it's very difficult to pick it up, I'm working with Code Academy and Treehouse, because I don't only want to work on this project, I want this to also help me land a job in the next 2-3 years.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Smtexas903
    Thanks, Yeah I understand that it's very difficult to pick it up, I'm working with Code Academy and Treehouse, because I don't only want to work on this project, I want this to also help me land a job in the next 2-3 years.
    Not so much difficult, but time consuming and takes plenty of time to master. Buy books about programming. Not just programming languages but the bare basics of theory behind it.

Also for ruby I would suggest this Why's Poignant guide. It is amazing. Google it. It is also free

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo