1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Basic question about ruby methods

I'm new to Ruby and have a basic question I can't get my head around.

If I have a simple loop like this:

Code:
    array_thing = [1, 2, 3] 

array_thing .each { |item| print item }
    But I want to add some logic to it such as (pseudo code below)

Code:
    array_thing = [1, 2, 3] 

array_thing .each { |item|   if item != number print "not a number" else print item }
    where do you typically put this when working with Ruby methods and the each method in particular?
  3. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

the block is exactly where to put the logic. And there isn't really an alternative, is it? Just like you put logic into the body of a for or while loop in other languages, you put it into a block in Ruby.

Funny thing is, you've pretty much written down the actual code. All you gotta do is add a then and an end and replace the "item != numer" with an actual check like not item.is_a? Numeric.

However, you shouldn't stuff everything into a single line, and you should rephrase the if statement and start with the positive case.

Code:
    array_thing.each do |item|
      if item.is_a? Numeric
        print item
      else
        print "not a number"
      end
    end
    Note that you usually don't do explicit type checking in Ruby. Instead, you check if the object behaves in a certain way (i. e. has a specific method).
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks for this. Appreciated.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo