1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Needing a computer builder script...

Hello, everyone!

I'm in need of a custom computer configuration script as seen on some computer builder/OEM websites such as Dell, Alienware, and this one is pretty spiffy here: Puger Configure Computers.

I want it to function as such: Where somebody selects the components they want and the system price will be adjusted in real-time to match their selections. The most important aspect of this is that the prices need to updateable by database. Databases available for use are mySQL, PostgreSQL, MS Access.

ASP, PHP and CGI are all a compatible solution for the web page's coding.

What I really would like is to learn the mechanics of this, and then once I get the hang of it, make one for my friend, but then also release this to the public under the GPL.

What do you think? Is there any place that I can learn how to code such a thing? I know there are ways to do it, but it's the inner workings of it that are throwing me off. I am fluent in PHP/mySQL but can learn any code needed to code this project.

Thank you for your time!

David Markley

(BTW, Mods - I didn't know for sure if this was the right forum category to put this in, so move anywhere you think it needs to go. Thanks!)
  3. Introspective
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

I am fluent in PHP/mySQL
    That's all you need - get cracking !

christo
    This is me: http://chris.uk.com

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo